Use GPS data to calculate lean angle

edited November 2014 in RaceChrono for Android
Hi, I have been reading about how using accelerometers, gyros etc. all have their issues with calculating lean angle while moving due to all the forces at play. Apparently it is possible to calculate the lean angle using GPS data. Something about using GPS position and the curve from reading coordinates etc. Not sure exactly, but I am doing some research. If possible, could this be added to RaceChrono as a value to capture?

I have tried using sensors and kalman filters, but doesn't work to well when your moving, but works fine when stationary. Also the data is very noisy even with a kalman filter.

Thanks.

Comments

• edited November 2014
    I'll email you.
  • I am also interested in this....
  • TAD158, do you have already done something like this? If so please contact me through the feedback. This will be a RaceChrono feature at some point, but currently looking at options what sensors to use etc.
  • I have not, but have lots of data...if you want to look at it.

If the op wants to send me his ideas I can try to process my data and see what I get.
  • AOL, write me shortly what do you expect.
  • edited March 2015
    TAD158 (and anyone with internal-sensor-enabled data from bikes) can you send your data to track(at)racechrono.com ? I'm experimenting with lean angles now. Requirement is that the phone has been fastened to the bike (not the rider).
  • So...My phone is mounted to the triple tree, but it is an old Droid X....and I don't think it is logging the mag and accel sensors...I will check...My GPS is mounted to the faring stay....I was actually thinking of adding a AHRs system...to measure it directly...
  • No need for the data if it doesn't have accelerometer and gyroscope :)
  • edited March 2015
    So, I just booted up my DroidX. It looks like I had not been logging the internal sensors previously, mainly because it only logged the accelerometer. I updated the RC software, and was able to turn on the internal sensors, and all three now seem to get connected. It seems that the Accelerometer, and Magnetometer, but the Gryroscope says connected waiting for data. What do you think we have to do to get it up and running so we can do this?
  • It's too old, I don't think it has a gyroscope even...
  • :(....Well I guess I should look into an IMU board then but that may not happen until next off season....sorry I cant help with this effort then...for now...
  • Hi, there is a good write up about lateral g and lean angle here: http://www.datamc.org/2014/01/26/corner-g-and-lean-angle/

Dave
  • Is there any progress on getting the lean angle data out from accelerometer and gyroscope?