RaceChrono Wish List

Comments

• edited July 2009
    3) I understand you don't switch it while driving :) Can I ask you why you prefer landscape to portrait? Better for installation? That one second switching is a good idea.

Good idea that auto marking too!
  • the phone fits perfectly sideways in a slot the dash, so its never going to be portrait in my car (lotus elise) i will be happy with a rotating last display and some auto marking :-)
  • Hi Again,

I am building a PIC controller with A/D an bluetooth interface so i can do some data logging, rpm, oil temp, water temp, etc, will also be building a gyro onto the board, when i get it complete, would you be interested in adding some features to the software to support some bluetooth serial data logging features? I will be making the device available to buy somewhere.

Matthew
  • Can you put me down for beta testing? I'll buy one if it integrates with RaceChrono and doesn't cost as much as a DL1!
  • mattnj can you email me @
    d i ma20 0 0 'at' y aho o 'period' c om
  • edited July 2009
    Mattnj: Sure, if you plan to make it available to others. Sounds interesting. Would be great if you added accelerometers as well. Are you planning on system that outputs with fixed of variable data rate? If variable, then you need to add timestamps (relative) to the data
    items, because Bluetooth adds sporadic lag.

You could also add to the thing an RS232 for GPS receiver. This way you'd need only one Bluetooth connection from phone, and could get real time clock for your timestamps.

You can contact me directly through the feedback form @about if you need support.
  • edited July 2009
    As a fresh new user, I'd like to thank you for this nice piece of software.

Here is my 2 cts about the wish list items, in fact, I'd like to boost some of the things asked instead of adding new ones :

- Standing start. Start timer when car moves enough from close vicinity of the defined start point. For Hill climbing and Rallying!

- Option to automatically drop incoming phone calls while in session.

- Option to display (maybe flashing) message on screen sent as sms from predefined phone

- Accelerometer support (+ lean angle calculation + drift angle calculation) / Wiimote support
  • Hi, Delirii, Thank you for the priority list!

I'm right now working on the Accelerometer support, but the lean angle seems impossible to do. Not enough information, gyroscope needed :( I can provide true G-forces and make the performance testing more accurate. The other ones are also near top of my to-do list, so I'll start with them after the accelerometer stuff.
  • Hi,

Sorry i did mean accelerometer and not gyro! Outputs can be whatever you like, we need to deceide together before i write the serial output code, i was thinking of using the DL1 protocol which is readily available:-

http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/index.php/General/SerialDataFormat

The first version (already underway) will have 8 channels 2 of which will be used for x, y accelerometers.

WIll update you when i have someting working.
  • The DL1 format seems reasonable, since I could add that and have support for DL-1 at the same time.
  • How about being able to show timeslip in the comparison graph? By this I mean colouring the line to show how much slower you are than the comparison lap and maybe a line on the graph to show timeslip too. This would allow you to see how much slower you were at a certain point in the lap. When the line is flat, you're losing no time. The steeper the angle of the line, the more time you're losing. By integrating that line, you'll be able to plot instantaneous timeslip.
  • Good idea, Andy!
  • edited August 2009
    OK, so your route, traps etc are set-up on RC and you are tracking. How about providing a REVERSE ROUTE function that does the following:
    1) Inverts the selected route and saves it automatically (or manual) to name "Reverse Nameofroute" or Name of Route -R?
    2) The start/finish/splits are also inversed, nl. Start => finish, finish => start, Split 1 =>Split 3, for 3 split setup etc. Even the direction of traversal must change.

Yep, we have club competitions (sprints) where we run racetracks the wrong way round, else the regular racers have an unfair advantage!
  • Good point, Sidewinder. I normally end up making two different tracks for the AutoSolos we run in reverse. Having said that though, the start/finish lines are often in a slightly different place.
  • On my to-do list now!
  • edited August 2009
    2 Suggeriments.

1- To split lines reference, I think that can be improved the way to make it.

I have tried yesterday in a track, and after some laps I added Start/Finish line and 2 splits. After see some graph and telemetry in the phone, I added 5 splits more, but the problem is don't ordered automacally by thedistance from start, it orderer by the order of creation

2 - A Demo/Play mode to compare 2 laps, where can see the 2 cars and racing line at real (scaled) speed. And time diference between 2 cars to see where gain or lost time.

To see a great example is a tool for a game simulator (Live For Speed)

Go to www.lfsworld.net and enter like a guest
    Click on "Hotlap Analyser"
    Choose 1 track, for example "Westhill" and one car, for example "FO8" and click OK
    Click on one pilot's name and then click in another to compare.

Now you can see the telemetry program. You can add/delete graph or change by anothers (Speed, G forces, etc), click on PLAY button and it start to move cars, press on Sync to switch graphs and run by Distance or Time based. Use scroll mouse to zoom in or zoom out in the map

To me is very usefull to improve my times in this simulators, and I'm sure that will be the same with real telemetries

Think you that can to do something like that?

Greetings
  • Thank you for the suggestion! The replay is not bad idea at all, but I guess the implementation will be a bit less arcade.
  • To see a pretty good example of a replay with lap sync, check out the one in Traqview. It displays the two cars by laps, or by segments/splits and the mouse hover will show current speed, accel/deccel data, etc.

I think this would be a great addition to Racechrono.
  • edited August 2009
    Would it be possible to have the ability to display speed in real time ?

It would be great to be able to use the mobile phone as an accurate speedometer when driving it on the street, as my 1970 model Datsun has different gearbox and diff ratios from standard, different sized tyres, and the speedometer is in miles per hour ( australia, where I live, changed to metric not long after my car was built), so the factory speedometer isn't much use nowadays.

Maybe its getting away from the real purpose of racechrono (track use), but it might be an easy addition ?

Thanks,
    Dave
  • switch to live timer, then use the middle key to go up 2 screens, use left right keys to switch between data shown. GPS speed is one of them.
  • Excellent - Thanks !!
  • Yesterday I tested my shifter kart in performance mode 0-100Kmh in 4,4s, and after I wanted to test the 100-0Kmh but the program say that I can't to do a test with second number smaller than first.

I think it is a easy modification
  • There is no easy changes :) I mean there is no code for detecting stopping. But this is on my to-do list. Just will take some time to do.
  • this one seems to do live mapping
    http://www.mapmytracks.com/sports/sailing
    might be good for some of the members that do motorsport so we can see how they are doing etc
  • it would be nice to see that Racechrono has a formula to calculate the back trace of passing a trap.
    e.g. when we passed the Start/Finish trap at 150km/h and the next GPS receiver refresh was 0.5sec after (with 1hz gps), Racechrono should knows that the last GPS update was at 41.67meters before. So, with the vehicle speed given and gps refresh points, racechrono should calculate and back trace the actual timing passing the Start/Finish trap. This will definitely helps in accuracy for those 1hz gps receiver and even further improve the accuracy for 5hz gps receiver. This mechanism should applies to any trap.
  • edited August 2009
    Hi rx8doifto, RaceChrono already does trap line interpolation, since the very first test version :)
  • One of the nice feature, as missed by Dave above, is the GPS info, like speed etc. Looking at the GPS time, mine is always 2 hours out, 'because i'm GMT-2h. Any way to set the offset manually, like on phone time function. BTW, RC 1.3 works great on N97!
  • Are there plans for a Windows CE 5 version anymore? I think I saw such possibility mentioned a while back in a list of upcoming v1.30 updates but I could be wrong, cannot find such mention at the moment.

I think a Windows CE version would be a real killer, provided that CE based navigators have quick enough GPS data rates etc. These type of devices are very cheap and have large 3.5"-5" touch screen displays with built-in gps. It would be great to view real-time lap times from such large display, smart phone displays tend to be a bit on the small side when trying to look at them while driving on a track.

Couple of examples of such Windows CE 5.0 devices:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26915
    http://www.verkkokauppa.com/popups/prodinfo.php?id=11150
  • edited August 2009
    I've do have working CE prototype with couple of bugs and need of on-screen keyboard. Other problem I have with the CE version is that there is no proper way to distribute the software (no internet connections, app stores, or installation packages like sisx or cab).

I haven't done any work on it on last few weeks as I've worked on new features instead. I'm not saying it won't be released, just that right now my motivation is not too high :-) I'll probably get back on it once I've made the new features and start preparing next version.
  • edited August 2009
    Thanks for the heads-up that there might be CE version at some point ;-)!

I don't get the installation package part. There are cab installer files in Win CE. I actually installed the RaceChrono PocketPC 2003 version into my PhotoNav navigator (running CE). Installer tells that program is not compatible with this operating system and may not run on this device, but it installs fine nevertheless. Too bad that the installed program doesn't run on this version of Windows :-). Based on this experience it seems that cab-installer can be copied and installed easily using a memory card reader and then desired track profiles could be likewise copied into the correct folder structure afterwards.

Keep up the great work!