RaceChrono Wish List

Comments

• Love the program, one small issue found...
    I used my phone to grab the data, and uploaded the laps to my laptop. But on Netbooks, at least the 1024x600 models (which are quite popular) it cuts off the bottom buttons because of the screen size. Any way to add a window resize or maybe change the layout a little? Thanks! Love the program!
  • N1XRR: You can re-size the window as you like, or even make it full screen. The default size might be too high, true.
  • Wishlist?
    1. A Live Track Setup mode for your first session on a new track. Simply tap the screen for Start/finish and sector traps on the fly without having to look at the screen.

2.Also use of larger fonts where possible for those of us with old eyes.
  • Hi All,

Just wanted to put my hand up for the wish list of getting a Windows CE version. I have a head unit in my car with a GPS and 7" screen and Im LOVING the idea of RaceChrono getting in there.

Also I read User: TIPE's post on the 25th of Aug 2009 and your reply about difficulty of installation in WinCE... and I want to throw in an idea in response to that.
    - I am running a GPS system iGO8 in my head unit VIA an SD Card... I don't know the techinicality of it all but there was nothing to install there. Just stick the SD card in and tell my Head Unit software where the .exe file is and presto I have a GPS Software.

Anyways, thats my brilliant suggestion :-) Hope its worth a thought.
  • hi,
    i've got the same wish of Buzz... i've a TouchScreen GPS (SiRF Star III) with windows CE 5.0 installed + CPU: centrality Atlas II @ 300MHz + MMC and SD Card.
    I've just installed several adicional programs like oziexplorer, iGo and tom tom navigator and they run very well.
    I would like to use it in tracks with my bike... but i don't know if some of the actual versions will work (pocket PC or Windows mobile???)????
    Best Regards
  • Unfortunately the CE version is not coming. We are piloting a commercial standalone RaceChrono product in Australia, so making a CE version would disturb the market for it.
  • If thats the case, then it would be cool to develop a GPS navigational system to co-exist with data logging that RaceChrono offers. Like an all in one type.

Looking forward to the new product guys. Any ETA for it?
  • It will be available Australia and New Zealand very soon. No ETA decided for other regions.
  • Hi aol,

Thank you for the great racechrono, my wish I think is simple. I use the racechrono in my kart that don´t have speedometer, my smartphone is inside of acrylic box and I use only in simple mode live timer. If racechrono can show the speed at this mode it will be better for kart user. Maybe with decision if show or not show the speed. My os is wm6 standard.
    Thank you a lot.
  • piOpiO
    edited May 2010
    Hello...

I'm from Germany, so please excuse my bad English :) I hope i post in the correct thread.

One week ago i tryed RaceChrono on the racetrack the first time... When i export the session to KML i only see in Google Earth a line where i've been driving, but no information about the speed and so on... Then i found a program, which converts the *-nmea.txt into a KML file and then i can see in Google Earth all the laps with "points" to click on and then comes a window with all the information. That's what i want, but the problem is, it can only show the whole laps or no laps... So i have all the 'laps' and 'dots to click on' overlapping... Thats very confusing which dot belongs to which lap and so on... So i would like to have the possibility to switch each lap on and off...

I think that is only possible when the big NMEA-File gets cuttet into many small NMEA-Files, each file for one lap... Is that possible???

Or which other way is there to compare the laps? I dont want to analyse the laps on the small mobile phone... That's very uncomfortable...

Here the site with the NMEA to KML converter. On the bottom are also pictures so that you can imagine how it looks like...
    http://www.wugsi.com/Tools/GPS2KML/GPS2KML.php

Thanks for answering...

Greetings from Germany :D
  • I don't know of a way to chop the NMEA files except by hand (export to CSV and find the lat/long of the start line in the CSV, then search for that in the NMEA, cutting everything before, then find the finish line and cut everything after). Perhaps this is a feature that RaceChrono could do - exporting NMEA from just a single lap. Also, this KML that Wugsi's GPS2KML Converter produces is brilliant - a great way to visualise the lap in Google Earth.

As for comparing the laps on your computer rather than your mobile phone, RaceChrono will install on a Windows OS. In fact, that's what I usually do. Once installed, simply copy the RaceChrono folder from your mobile phone into your "My Documents" or "Documents" folder. When you next run RaceChrono, all your previous sessions will appear.
  • Could you add a larger lap counter in the timer display. When I am in a lap race I can not read the lap counter. During the race the lap time is of less importance.

Also, when I am in a timed race it would be good to have a total time display.
  • Seperate controls for the user screen fonts and the timer screen fonts would allow larger fonts in the timer screen and still keep the user screens readable. When I use larger fonts parts of the user screens are not readable.

Also, The landscape screen text and lap count over write each other when I use larger fonts. This does not happen in portrait screen, but the portrait lap counter is so small you can not read it in the car at race speeds.
  • Hi aol,
    what about a "circuit self detector". I mean that GPS can easily detect on what track is racechrono running so it will be no more necessary to select the track for each session. Obviously, the circuit must have been saved on the device.
    Bye
  • Riccardo: Good idea
  • Aol you said last january to Andreasthat " N900 port will be relatively easy (unlike iPhone or Android which are hard), so it is coming."

Do you have problem with Maemo ?
  • edited June 2010
    I want to do the Maemo/MeeGo version properly, with Qt technology, and not to use my energy for porting the current version to another platform. I'm not developing during the summer or the autumn, but during the winter I will do the new version with Qt. This will possibly allow Android version too, even though it is a bit uncertain.

Unfortunately Apple does not allow software written with cross-platform tools like Qt to App Store.
  • ok, thank you for these explanation. So I'm waiting patiently the winter ;)
  • I've been using Racechrono for years and think you are doing a great job with this software!
    If i should put anything on the wishlist for now, it would be the oppertunity to use the unit as an programmable shift light together with racechrono.
  • please add Win CE 5.0 support!
    thank you very much
  • How difficuilt to add such option:
    "width of the track line (1, 2, 3, 4 pixels)"

on my PDA resolution is 640*480 but size of screen 2.6 inches so the lines are tiny(
  • I don't know if it discussed before but...I would like to see in the live timer, the difference of time lap on live.

Not only comparing a lap with each other, the best lap or last lap... I'm talking to compare time meter each meter.

So a good example is the F1 Wheel Displays

The video it is not too much good, but I don't find another. The left display indicates the speed, the center the gear, and the rigth display diference in time with the best lap.

You can see better on the www.formula1.com/videos (need to register first) click on Onboard andSpain (I recomended that because can see the display)
  • edited June 2010
    Napalm: So it would be real-time time comparison to the best lap? Not just at the split lines, but constant comparison? If you meant that, it's doable and it is something that I will do it for the completely new RaceChrono I'm planning to do.
  • KAC: Currently it is very difficult to do, but as I will do complete rewrite with Qt, there will be thicker line option.
  • Yes aol, a constant comparison :) Nice news that you was planning to do, but I think we need to wait a lot of months :/
  • edited July 2010
    I did a search, but didn't see a "predictive lap time" feature mentioned. I have a device that currently accomplishes this by providing the "time since you were last here." Meaning it continiously updates the time as you proceed around the track (approximately the same lat/long) and gives immediate feedback on performance because you can typically see tenths of second increase and decrease immeditately.

I've found this immensely helpful because you can analyze every corner/line while you are driving it. It's a simple concept that works with the only tricky part being setting thresholds deviations from the previous lap due to different lines, gps drift, etc.
  • I would be more than happy if you make RaceChrono to work in PPC 2002.
    That donate button would get one click right away.
    PPC 2003 version installs fine with "Program is not compatible with this operating system and may not run on this device.", but does not run on my Ipaq 3660.
  • First of all, thank you for this GREAT APP!
    Wishlist.
    I'd like to see a " local time" option (instead of only gps time) and the option for exporting interpolated data! Ideally I would want the interpolation to be selected from the user (24-25-30-60Hz to match commonly used video framerates!). I want all gauges to look smooth! Even digital speedo!
  • OK, I have been demoing this to a few people on a larger screen, and 3 out of the 5 of them have asked for a single touch "Start/Pause/Stop" button set on the live timer screen. Hitting back and then pause was viewed as too many steps.