Old sessions now not working (corrupted sessions)

Hi all

I'm a long time user of Racechrono and have my old trackday sessions stored going back to 2010. I'm currently running v4.3.9 on Android, to be honest I dont use the phone & Racechrono all that often as its a spare phone that only gets used for trackdays, so only a few times a year.

So today I started it up to install the latest updated apps etc, updated Racechrono etc, but now when I go into any of my previous Sessions it messes them up. It doesnt show any laps, but states the distance is like 21300miles. I checked the speed/miles graph and it seems to get to the end of the session then continue at a certain MPH, it also doesnt follow track either so not even sure if the GPS data is matching up with the actual track location.

if I dont go into a session, it still shows the correct laps/besttime etc.

Heres two screenshots:
http://imgur.com/a/iJKWC

Any idea how I can fix this?

Comments

• edited December 2015
    It doesn't mess them up when you open them, it just calculates the metadata again from raw data. So the raw channel data being corrupted will only appear at that point. The sessions may be corrupted before for reason or another. Did you move them or anything like that? If you send me one of the session (share it to tracks(at)racechrono.com), I can take a look whats gone wrong. Sometimes the sessions get corrupted because of buggy file system, and sometimes buggy copying...
  • Hi

Thanks for getting back to me, actually not all of them are like that (got a little braver in trying others) only seems to be the newer ones, the newer ones were recorded directly onto the Android device and has worked fine on previous versions of the app. The older ones were copied over from an old Windows Mobile phone. I havent copied/moved them since I changed from WM to Android a few years ago.

I'll email you one of the sessions. I assume the .rcz file is what you're after?

Thanks
  • edited December 2015
    Got the sample, thank you. That particular session is missing the "channel_1_1_0_3_1" file which is the GPS position data. Possibly your device has buggy file system and it has just lost the file. It's critical channel so a working session cannot be restored from it.

That said, if you still have the old session files from WM, you can re-import them to Android. Assuming any of the corrupted sessions are older ones.

I've received multiple similar reports, and it's always either a file or two is missing, or the file contents has been replaced with another file. There are some fault tolerance and backup features on my roadmap for next year to prevent such session loss, but currently I can only apologise for any lost sessions.
  • Hi

Thats a shame, not sure whats happened there, I'll keep on eye on it. Strangely enough the only effected files are the most recent ones (the ones recorded directly on Android) hopefully get a chance to do a few trackdays this coming Summer. I'm pretty sure the SD Card is fine, well I meant not fake as its only a 2GB one.

Thanks
  • edited December 2015
    It's recommended to always take backup from session files (although it's manual now). Probably easiest is to share the .rcz file to yourself always after an important session. I hope I can make these problems disappear with some redundancy and backup features in the future!