data usage of RaceChrono on Android phone?

Hi, I am new to RaceChrono and have acquired a Samsung Galaxy S5 android phone to use with RaceChrono. I already have a Dual XGPS 160 device to use to pair for the GPS service. My question is this - will the phone use data (ie. sim card data - 4G) when being used with RaceChrono. I ask because I am only using this phone for RaceChrono - in Australia you cannot get pre-paid data only sim cards for use with smartphones, they all have phone service also connected. So I need to work out how much data RaceChrono will or wont use when on the track. I don't want to have to spend much on a sim card if it doesn't use much or any data. Hopefully it wouldn't use any and would just operate through the separate GPS device? Software updates for RaceChrono etc can be easily achieved when the phone is connected to a wireless network.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• edited April 2016
    RaceChrono itself uses very little data, possibly just tens to hundreds of kBs per session, but the map component that is included in RaceChrono uses data to download new map tiles. This can be easily megabytes on heavy use. You can switch to the "simple" map with black background by clicking the top right corner button on map view. This map does not download any tiles. Of course the analysis is not as nice as with satellite imagery.
  • edited April 2016
    If I had no other use for the phone than RaceChrono, I'd get cheapest (slowest) data-SIM I could find. Data-SIMs are cheaper here in Europe than 'talk+data' SIMs. I'm guessing the data quota expires (here usually 6 months) before you can use it fully...
  • in Australia you cant get data only SIMS for smartphone - you can for tablets but for smartphones they dont work. Its a rort but thats the problem when there's not enough competition in the market. So I will just have to get the cheapest prepaid plan I can that includes some data.
  • edited April 2016
    Are you sure they dont work? You just wont be able to make phone calls