Garmin Glo or Dual XGPS 160 for performance measurement

I plan to get the RaceChrono app primarily with the purpose of performance testing and tuning but I have problems making up my mind what external GPS to get. Most questions seems (naturally) to focus on finding the best GPS for track use and it looks like the Dual get the best rating. However the Garmin seems to be the one that has the upper hand on positioning but at the same time runs at a lower frequency thatn the Dual. My plan is to make like 50-150kmh runs and analyse the loggs. What is the most important parameter selecting GPS for performance testing; high frequency or positioning accuracy?
Thanks

Comments

• I think you'll be fine with either one.

Disclaimer: RaceChrono's Android version doesn't have build in performance testing features, but you can certainly log your data, and get the performance from looking at the graphs.
  • Thanks for the feedback. Reason was an old post by you stating that "Between the two data is rather similar with the exception that XGPS160 connects steady 10 hz where the GLO fluctuates between 5-10 Hz giving average 8.5 Hz. " Maybe 1.5hz is marginal when it comes to accuracy of performance testing? And yes, I know I need to manually look into the graphs but coming from an old Gtech Pro with accelerometers I think this is a major improvement in measurement quality.
  • I have a brand new GLO and samsung S4active. Update rate seems to be almost solid 10hz at least in 5 minutes test period, only some 9 - 9.5hz points at the beginning. I think that Garmin updated the firmware (or the device itself) at some point...
  • wbaum, thanks for the info, I'll buy a brand new GLO to see the difference!
  • Great info, considering the GLO is somewhat cheaper, available "over the counter" (at least in Sweden) and it now looks like it performs equal to the Dual the GLO seems like the way forward for me. Thanks wbaum!
  • Np. I heard there might be differences in performance between firmwares, so I ordered the device directly from Garmin Europe to get the latest one. Actually it was cheaper than in Finland anyway... I'll run some more tests later, I'll let you know if something weird occurs.
  • wbaum; is there an easy way for you to find out firmware version of your unit? I ordered the Garmin from a place here in Sweden and I hope to have the unit in a few days. It would be interesting to see if I get the same firmware version as you.
  • Bogor, I have to check that. Unfortunately I found something unpleasant. At my first tests, rate was 10hz almost all the time. Today I had much more satellites (14, I drove car on highway) than yesterday's quick session (4-7, in car at city center). It seems update rate gets lower then, about 7-8hz, just like people has reported. Position accuracy seems very good tho...
  • Wbaum, Thanks for letting me know. I think I will go ahead with the Garmin anyway. I plan to test it in a vehicle with OBD2 and with plenty of power to really find out if there are any major difference between the RC loggs and the data reported by the OBD2 during hard acceleration
  • Notice the OBD-II speeds need to be calibrated with GPS to get exact tire circumference.
  • edited May 2016
    Well, I´ve got my Glo now. I have made some quick tests (only cruising) but I never reach 10Hz update frequency. Occasionally, it goes to 9.5 Hz but most times it varies between 7 and 8 Hz. Like wbaum, I get a feeling that a lower number of satellites give somewhat higher frequency (and vice verse).