OBD-II support

This discussion was created from comments split from: Wishlist for RaceChrono v2 for Android.

Comments

• Hey! I've been using RaceChrono since Symbian (a must in any N8). Recently I moved to Android, first thing I did was look for it. Beautiful improvement, I love the interface and many more things. But... there's something missing: where is OBD? any ETA on that?

Congrats with this app man! :)
  • tomalotuyo: I will start on it next weekend, it is next on my list! Cannot promise an ETA though :)
  • Oh this will be great :-D
  • Great to hear.

Is there any plan to expand the protocol to accomodate more datatypes ?
  • hybridnz, what data types do you have in mind? I'm open to suggestions but I had not planned for anything else than the normal data channels the Symbian version had...
  • Be good if you could calculate what gear is selected given rpm and speed (obd tacho) . Of course would need to be user configurable per car.
  • jasonp1980, I've been thinking about that. It's not exactly OBD-II feature, but is related.
  • edited April 2013
    Hi Aol,

Currently the protocol supports a set amount of values with no labels. It would be fantastic to just be able to add as many channels (with in reason of serial band width limits :) ) as a person would like. This would allow someone to build a string to support datalogger input from many channels without Race Chrono having to support many different functions, people could just choose their own they want.
    Also a function to be able to label and map the channels and data to the graph.
    A bit more effort I know but would make it great.
  • hybrindz, I figure you're talking more about data logger support (RaceDAC, $RC1, $RC2 formats), than OBD-II. The reason $RC2 format is so "dense" is that I wanted to support up to 100 Hz update rates. If you write up in detail your ideas about the protocol, I could of course pick up some of it if I think they are feasible :)
  • +1 for the obd tacho!
  • Huge thanks to aol for crating this software! I have only been using it with Nokia E7 internal gps on track with a car, but have now ordered Qstarz BT-Q818XT for it. I am expecting it to get much more accurate with driving lines.

BUT, I have also tested it with ELM 327 Bluetooth-OBD2-device and it doesn't seem to connect, no matter what baudrate I try. Any ideas on this? I can test it more specifically if I would know what to look for.
    OBD2-reader is this:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ELM327-OBD2-OBDII-CAN-BUS-V1-5-Bluetooth-Auto-Car-Diagnostic-Interface-Scanner-/160903242891?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160
    And it works well with the same phone using for instance obdscope-program.
    I did get past it using VCDS to log all the needed obd-data (I think VCDS with a cable also has a much higher refresh rate in turbo mode than obd-bluetooth devices) and then use racechrono to log route and timing information.
  • edited July 2013
    Hi ollip99, unfortunately these Chinese copycat "elm327" are varying in quality. Expect to pay around $100 for proper OBD-II reader like OBDkey. I have few of these fake elm327 devices, and some of them work and some don't. I've tried to make all of them work, but all of them implement the elm327 protocol slightly differently....
  • Thank you very much for your answer aol!
    That's pretty much what I expected when I ordered it... for AUS 11 (including postage from Hong Kong to Finland), I didn't expect much! :)
    It was just confusing that with other software it worked on the same phone...
    VCDS logging works great, but you need to have a small windows-computer with you. And with VCDS, I'm able to get refresh rate to around 22 times/second in turbo mode.
  • edited July 2013
    22 times/second is very good for OBD-II... For Android version I did some speed improvements and I'm now able to get 10 Hz instead of 3-4 Hz on Symbian version.
  • OBD-II support is implemented in v2.30 beta
  • Hey AOL

Thanks for a great product! i'm slowly getting everything to piece together :):)
    I had bought the blue elm327 obdII reader. they sent me the white one but sadly it doesn't look like anything is coming through :/
    Is there anything i can do on the protocols to try kick it into gear? I have a 2006 Subaru STi, it is not canbus. Canbus model was 2008 onwards. It is set to automatic currently and i have the overlay working the way i want, I got the picture in picture to work. from the rest of the other posts i'm uessing that odbII isnt going to give me any joy, what i did notice is the phone connects to it and i put the password in "1234" then after that it just sits. is there anything else i could try?
  • I just did some more testing now, it comes up for a very short period and then disappears again. So i suspect the unit is not good.