RaceDAC/Display features

MAVMAV
edited June 2014 in RaceChrono for Android
Hi! thank you for great app!

Couple of things I would love to see in future versions.
Being a RaceDAC user, I have a possibility to connect anything as input channel and log it with RaceChrono. It would be great to have a possibility to change names of the channels and assign custom units to them for better look in live gauges screen.
Also I would love to see some data as dials, bars or graphs, so in future possibility to choose presentation of channel data will also be really great. I love the simple black/white/red gauge style you have in pro version.
Finally, creating live gauge screens with specific channels in specific presentation with peak/hold/warning functions would be nice logical development of these features.

Comments

• edited June 2014
    Hi MAV,

I have the Peak/hold/warning on my short term TODO list. I was supposed to do this during spring but as always I'm late with my schedule. Also I'm planning to have configurable dials for all of the data (not only RaceDAC), so you could choose from digital, analog etc. for live data and for exported videos.

The RaceDAC channel naming is something everyone using RaceDAC wants, but so I have considered it to complicate the user interface too much for what it does, and how many users will actually use it.

-Antti
  • Well, maybe only units naming then? Anyway this will be a complication, of course...
  • Another thing that be usefull for racedac is to can define an equation y = a*x + b to convert racedac input data into au value negative or positive. RaceDac data send only positive value.
  • To configure racedac I have begin to do this : http://hexenberg.free.fr/racedac/RaceDACconfig.rst-2.apk
  • Wow! Hexen, that's the tool I've been waiting so long. On what kind of device should I run it? On my galaxy 4 I see some problems with screen resolution...
  • I made it for my phone and my tablet. What is the problems ?
  • In vertical orientation I can't see any controls in main menu, they appear only in horizontal orientation. Then after connecting to device and opening channels setup screen, in horizontal orientation all controls and input fields look compressed and interfere with each other. In vertical orientation all elements look adequately spaced but I see only left top corner of the screen - only first three channels are shown and I can't scroll the screen neither side. I can send you screenshots if you want.
  • yes please

It work in horizontal orientation
  • An update, with new button at the down to split in mulitiple screen if it is not good in one screen
    http://hexenberg.free.fr/racedac/RaceDACconfig_.apk
  • Thanks! Already installed, will try it on this weekend.
  • MAVMAV
    edited October 2014
    Works great, Hexen! Thank you! The only thing it's missing now to be a perfect tool is saving/loading settings profiles.
    You should contact them to post the link on RaceDAC site. It's very useful.

Aol,
    One more thing I noticed working with RaceDAC. Maybe it's the same with OBD data, I don't know... I have TPS or brake channels configured to show 0-100 values. Also i have pressure channels which are configured like 0-100 (0-10Bar). Since for RaceChrono these all are just values (although I don't know how it treats OBD data), we end up with log where 7000 rpm and 50"%" TPS and 3.5 bar of fuel pressure (recorded as "35") are shown on the same Y axis scale.. Is it possible to scale axis for each data channel? I don't really care that this will delete numbers on Y axis, in any case there are values of each channel at specific moment.

With current setting I can't really analyse most of the data in RC, but I can expor to for visualisation without further modifications.. I can reset all RaceDAC calibrations and analyse raw values - then they will be scaled nice, but then I loose possibiluty to analyse absolute values of the channels and every time I export data I need to modity it for video overlay...
  • By the way... I can't recall why I configuted pressure to show 10x values, maybe also to be able to see it in log when ANY other axis is shown... My AFR is also configured to show 100X values like 1470 for 14,7 for some reason...
  • RaceChrono groups the channels by channel type, and the groups are scaled individually. So in Pressure and Speed is scaled separately. But in RaceDAC there are only Digital and Analog type channels, so those are scaled in a group I think. I see that can be a problem. Can you share me one session with good RaceDAC data to tracks(at)racechrono.com so I can see it for myself?
  • Message sent! Thanks!
  • By the way, in the session I sent you I just tried to switch on temperature channels which are not configured (raw data with values 3000-4000), TPS (0-100%) and pressure channel (bars*10). I see that temp channels are scaled differently than TPS and Pressure, while they all are analogue channels of RaceDAC.
  • The reason you need to display 10x or 100x the values is because the RaceDAC will only output integers, and rounding kills the resolution of the sensors....So, if we could simply choose to scale the channels as a group by 0.1 or 0.01, then this would be very awesome.....Because right now I have to scale the channels with excel before doing anything with them, IE for video or tuning analysis after I export them from RC....
  • Second that! ))
  • I wonder if it would be possible to make a modification to RaceDAC to output floats for analog values. It does that already for G values. That said the analog channel scaling needs to be fixed.
  • edited December 2014
    Well, processing floats takes more memory and more cycles per calculation are required, that may not be possible with the hardware. What might be simpler is have the RaceDAC do its thing with the integer math, then place the decimal point when it generates the string for output. That would be cool...Can we get input from RaceDAC on how hard this would be able to implement?

But still being able to name the channels in RaceChrono would be SUPER handy!
  • edited December 2014
    Yeah, doesn't really matter if they are floating points or fixed points. RaceChrono actually uses fixed point internally with three decimal precision. So one should not even try to save more decimals :)
  • aol, any updates on when we might get the option to scale the analog channels by 0.1 or 0.001? As always keep up the good work!
  • Sorry haven't got around to this. Was I supposed to do analog channel scaling? I thought "ungrouping" them would be enough, so they would have separate Y-scale from each other? This way each Analog channel would fill its Y-scale.
  • edited February 2015
    Well the issue still remains that the DAC does not place decimal points in the string (I have asked for the feature but got no response from DAC). So as I mentioned before it would be handy if we could scale the analog channels by factors of ten, so that way we could keep the decimal precision.
  • So....I just discovered that Dashware has released their full version for FREE!!!!...I think as of a few days ago...and it is awesome (yay for custom gauges!)....I think they got bought by GoPro, and that was what facilitated that...

So this has been made into a moot point, as Dashware can scale the channels and do math with them. Although it would still be nice to display the logged channels in a better format in the live RC display on the phone/dash....
  • Updated RaceChrono Pro to newest version. Was really excited about customizable gauges and the feature itself is absolutely awesome! I like the style of the gauges and control interfaces are intuitive and functional, as usual. Great work, thank you! It just needs some extra bit of flexibility to make RaceDAC owners really happy :)
    It seems that now you can't use analogue presentation for most channels, I couldn't figure out how to get RaceDAC g-sensor data displayed correctly (only one axis selectable and it seems that data scale is not matching gauge expectations, so nothing is visible if analogue presentation is selected for G channel)
    Do you plan to improve RaceDAC compatibility?
    Like long awaited channel naming/custom channel units, availability of analog/graph presentation for all channels and simple settings of this presentation. Now, as I understood, analog gauge settings are tied to channel type like RPM channel of RaceDAC. It set up to show data in x1000 gauge. I have speed on this channel and it's configured to output data in km/h, do it's impossible to use analog presentation here since it's not configurable. Again, as I understood, other RaceDAC channel (except for G sensor as mentioned above) do not have any "type" assigned at all, so only digital presentation available, even if channel configured to output simple 0-100% data.
  • edited March 2015
    I see. I must admit I did not test that on RaceDAC sessions at all. Can you send me the one session you're working on so I'll at least promise to look at it to see if there's something I can do quickly? Making sure everything is polished in RaceDAC is not my highest priority due to low number of users, but surely I should make sure new features are usable with it :)

PS. you should use the RaceDAC firmware that outputs -1.000 for -1G and +1.000 for +1G. The early versions of RaceDAC outputted raw integer values from accelerometer. Make sure you're using that as I'm not going to fix the range in the client side.
  • Will send you one session now. When I switch gauge to values, g sensor data looks mormal ranging from -1.2 to 1.2, same as gps derived values, so firware is up to date, i think. but when I switch gps data to analog presentation it does not show anything, while gps data is visualised correctly, both axis btw. Looks to be working correctly if any of gps g-channels are selected. Wondering if it will be the same with RaceDAC which can be mounted on either of it's edges and have 3 sepatate g-axis...
  • edited March 2015
    Ok, seems that you have good firmware then. I will make it configurable so it will work in any mounting orientation, as long as lateral and linear directions of the vehicle are aligned to x-, y- or z-axis of the device.
  • MAVMAV
    edited November 2015
    It's great to see new features being implemented in RaceChrono. I'm trying to keep an eye and check almost every update to see what's new. I was also happy to see some new questions on RaceDAC on forum recently :) Although system has a big potential, I don't see that it gets user attention it deserves.
    I understand that working on new RaceChrono features may be more interesting and rewarding than fixing RaceDAC related stuff, but maybe you can update this some time soon?
    Just to remind, I have several issues/features requests that will make my life as RaceChrono+RaceDAC user easier:

Issue (only one in fact): G-gauge in graph mode is not working when datalogger channels are selected, althoug in value mode normal values are shown (-1.2....1.2)

Features request: #1 Digital channel is fixed to be "RPM". I have speed channel connected there and in video overlay it still tries to show my 150 km/h as 150 RPM on 5000 RPM gauge. At the same time #2 digital channel where my RPM is connected can't be congfigured to be analog gauge. Ok, easiest solution is just to swap the input wires, but it would be great to see the same options for other eight channels anyway. So, I would really loved to see customizable gauges for datalogger with modifiable gauge names, options for analog presentation for every gauge and possibility to assign them to different groups for axis scaling/presentation purposes. Because axis problem is still there and when I add, for example, my AFR channel to the presentation with typical values 900-2200 (100x scaled AFR values), my 0-100 brake and throttle channels are lost on graph screen.
    The necessity to add 10x..100x multiplier to get resolution from "only integer" output of RaceDAC is on their side. unfortunately it's probably to much to ask you add some math manipulations with the values from datalogger...

All this is needed to use video overlay features of RaceChrono to full extent. Because now it works great with basic GPS data and probably standard OBD channels, but totally unusable with RaceDAC if you want something that is not looking like bare values. I have to export values to .csv, adjust some values in excel and then use some other software to make video overlay. RaceChrono now already can make it all, it just lacks some flexibility working with RaceDAC data.