RaceChrono v7.2 beta

I've just released RaceChrono v7.2 for Android to the beta group ( https://racechrono.com/article/faq/how-do-i-join-the-beta-group ).

UPDATE v7.2.1: I've made small changes to the Overlaid video exporting, please test that it is still working on your device!

Change log for RaceChrono v7.2.0:
- Added support for OBDLink CX
- Added importing for Tesla Track Mode files (.csv)
- Added importing for iRacing telemetry files (.ibt)
- Added many new custom channel names
- Improved: OBD-II custom channel PIDs (requests) are now allowed up-to 8 bytes in length
- Fixed: GoPro video files embedded GPS data was not always imported properly
- Fixed: Air/Fuel ratio -channel was not available for custom channels
- Fixed: CAN-Bus data logging using OBDLink reader was broken for PID numbers less than 256
- Fixed: CAN-Bus channels were hidden in Vehicle profile if there was no reader device configured
- Fixed: bitsToUintLe and bitsToIntLe did not always return correct values

Change log for RaceChrono v7.2.1:
- Improved: Audio codec support in video export
- Fixed: Location permission request was broken (since 7.2.0)

Change log for RaceChrono v7.2.2:
- Added importing for AIM Data Logger files (.csv)
- Added 5 Hz support for Transystem GL-770
- Added new custom channel names
- Fixed: Broken .fit file import from Garmin Fenix 6X Pro
- All languages fully translated

Change log for RaceChrono v7.2.3:
- Removed redundant Rear brake position -channel
- Fixed: Broken AIM import
- Fixed: Always display video window when opening analysis from the video list

Change log for RaceChrono v7.2.4:
- Support for GM VPW DPIDs
- Improved: Engine load -channel is now available for custom channels
- Fixed: Clunky Media permission usage on Android 10 and later
- Fixed: Storage or Media permission was not properly requested when importing
- Fixed: OBD-II data logging failed if reader power was lost at any point during a session (readers with Bluetooth LE connection only)
- Fixed: AIM and Tesla Track Mode data logger channels not properly imported on Android 7.0 and earlier
- Fixed: AIM and Tesla Track Mode import data logger channels resolution
- Fixed: Possible end-of-session crash

Change log for RaceChrono v7.2.5:
- Added experimental support for Wit Motion BLE 5.0 IMU-sensor
- Fixed: OBD-II connection initialisation failed sometimes (OBDLink LX for example)

Change log for RaceChrono v7.2.7:
- Fixed: Crash when resolving device delay
- Fixed: The last "in lap" was not displayed in the lap list
- Fixed: Incomplete laps displayed as 0:00.00 in Analysis screen drop downs
- Fixed: Missing rounding in live lap timer

Change log for RaceChrono v7.2.8:
- Fixed: Broken audio when exporting overlaid video (Samsung S21 and possibly others)
ยซ134

Comments

• Hello

Very happy with this new version :)
    There is a small problem with the units :
    Example the speed in km/h
    The OBD returns a value in km/h and not in m/s.
    At the end of the calculation you consider that the speed is in m/s so you multiply by 3.6.
    This is not difficult to correct,
    Same thing for the powers in kW and probably others.
    puissance

vitesse

• edited March 2021
    This is a bit tricky! RaceChrono saves data internally as (mostly) SI system units: meters, m/s, m/s^2, kPa, W, celsius, etc. But the values are displayed to users according to settings. The equations need to produce a value in RaceChrono's internal units, so the correct values can be displayed according to user's settings, even if the session is shared or user changes the settings.
  • Yeah, I was previously confused by that too. Perhaps there should be a note explaining the expected units when defining a custom PID for such channels?

• or add the choice of the desired unit
  • edited March 2021
    I was thinking clarifying it by changing "Solution" label as "Solution for processing (W units)" and "Solution for display (kW units)". This is not exactly a beginner feature, and the way it is, is strongly dependent on the internal implementation, so I'm not going to change how it works, sorry. But maybe I can make it more obvious how it works.
  • @aol thanks for the update! I can't wait for the car to be back from the body shop to test this beta! I see you added a lot of channels, thanks, some without Italian translation. Do you need the translation or it was just a matter of scarce time available?
  • @jeby Yes usually the translations will come with some delay. But right now a few of our long time translators have fallen inactive - quite understandably... I will email you details how to help.
  • edited March 2021
    @aol it seems some sessions disappeared from racechrono after updating to latest beta. All recorded as personal circuit (I was logging around my home) in 2021. I've a backup anyways.

Moreover today I recorded a new session (from repair shop to home) but it appears under 2020 session, dated 13/11/2020 (but the time is ok)
  • Did a drive on open roads (no start/finish). Wanted to export a part of the drive (*.rcz). The drop down only has option "whole session" but I could edit start and end time to what I wanted. But when I ran the export it saved the whole session and not the start and end I'd chosen.

• edited March 2021

Just some FYI. The sync of OBD2 data with GPS data using the two speeds is superb! Worked perfectly with logs from my BMW M2. But my Toyota GR Yaris sends OBD2 data with the speed at 200ms offset to all the other OBD2 data channels hahaha. Sooo stupid. I'll do a test with fewer fast channels, maybe I had too many to actually get the data in time (due to testing I had two throttles, rpm, timing advance, air/fuel and speed)

• edited March 2021
    Hi, supporting GL-770 is fantastic and it works perfectly on v7.2.1. Just wondering if there is any limitation of the data frequency set to 1Hz? GL-770 can send data up to 5Hz, need configuration with the software GPS Photo Tagger provided by the vendor. Mine is set to 5Hz, but the data comes with 1Hz update.
  • edited March 2021
    @jeby Time to create a backup of your data (RaceChrono > Top menu > Backup). Your lost sessions might just be sorted elsewhere on the list. Usually when users have ended with broken and/or lost sessions, the reason has remained a mystery. I believe that some times and on some phones the file system just fails, and mixes and breaks some files. Good to have a regular backup because of this.
  • @MagnusThome Some cars have delays in OBD-II data, meaning that they give the same value for a while, and update after. Might be time to reverse engineer the GR Yaris CAN-Bus :)
  • edited March 2021
    @Terry675 The protocol it uses (Bluetooth LE standard) supports only full seconds and has no field for fractions. So probably it cannot be fixed... I guess it will save the files as 5 Hz though.
  • @aol Yes ๐Ÿ™‚ would be cool to find brake pressure and steering angle also.

• edited March 2021
    @MagnusThome take a look at this post to see how I'm proceeding with reverse engineering of my MX-5 can bus
    https://racechrono.com/forum/discussion/comment/11438/#Comment_11438
    Steering angle brake and accelerator are quite easy to discover with this method.

PS: GR Yaris <3 *-*
  • @jeby ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
  • @aol I'm not sure if this helps, my friend who is a iOS developer built a custom iOS app which communicate with GL-770 on BLE and it was able to pull location data as 5Hz. I don't know how he implemented it, but there might be a way to do. Hope this helps. Anyway, thanks for supporting GL-770!
  • @Terry675 Ask him if he did it by "synthetizing" the timestamps between updates, or is there a better way?
  • @aol I asked him and you're right. He uses "synthesized timestamp." His app manages 0.2 to 1.0 sec based on Apps' datetime and it receives 5 data if GL-770 is set to 5Hz updates, then concatenates the timestamp with data one by one. So it's not exactly NMEA log, but synthesized log. Not sure if you prefer to go forward even if the data is synthesized.
  • edited March 2021
    @aol is it possible to add a channel for switches, like brake switch and clutch switch or even neutral switch? Right now I'm using "digital" and 1, 2, 3. Also, which is the best formula to extract the digital value of one bit? I mean the 0 or 1 value and not the result of bitstoint. Thanks.

Also: a channel for engine calculated load [%]
  • @jeby Are the switch channels really necessary? Or just use the accelerator and brake positions with 0% and 100% value? Engine load channel is fine.
  • @Terry675 OK. How do I change the Hz on it? I think I threw away everything that came with the device :)
  • @aol yes, you're right, I can use the 0-100% position
  • @aol I'll send the instruction via the request form.
  • @aol Any comment on the export issue above? Is it to ignore the start/stop values one enters?
  • edited March 2021
    @MagnusThome I have another report on same issue too and it's on my TO-DO list to check it at some point. Low priority :)
  • Good placement priority wise :smile: ) :+1:
  • Is it possible to add in the next beta Corner Radius and inverse corner radius as a channel? It would be really helpful thanks