GoPro GPS + Telemetry ODB

Saw this on the android section and would like to see this for iOS as well. Any way to stitch the data + gps + video together outside of RC?

Comments

• The functionality is the same on iOS and Android, so you cannot add OBD-II data to the GPS data that is imported from GoPro. Also RaceChrono is only iOS and Android, but you may find some external PC/Mac applications to do overlaying.
  • Hey @aol, this would be a very nice feature to have, I've been banging my brain over how to do it until I found this post. I can either have OBD+phoneGPS+Video or GoPro GPS+Video but cannot do OBD+GoPro GPS + Video is there any plan to support this?
  • +1 i joined the forum just to try to figure out how to do this too. The gopro gps data is 18x better than my iphone, but would love to be able to add some of my obd2 data onto my video overlays so i can better analyze my laps.
  • Good! lets get more people on board to make this happen!
  • edited October 2021
    Not officially supported way, but works:

1) Create two sessions, one with OBD-II and internal GPS, and another one imported from the GoPro.

2) Share the files as .rcz, and rename the files to .zip, and extract.

3) From the OBD-II session, delete all files starting with "channel_1_".

4) Copy the files starting "channel_1_" from the GoPro session to the OBD-II session

5) Compress the contents of the folder to .zip and rename to .rcz. If the file does not import then this step has failed. The .zip files need to have exactly the same directory structure as it was, notice how the files are in the root of the archive.

6) Import the new .rcz file you've just hacked together
  • Thanks @aol will try to make it happen this afternoon if I find time to go to track.
  • yes thanks @aol -- i wish I had checked back before i rendered all my sessions from my last track day! ( ) I have both data sets though, so i will definitely be able to try it out.

I was actually stopping by to ask another question about why some of my videos won't load, but i will put that in a new thread.
  • @aol - the quick hack almost works as you outlined above -- but in order to get the video relinked to the newly imported rcz file i also had to add the sessionfragment.json from the gopro session to the obd2 session. Thanks for your help!
  • and sorry for the spam, but i just realized that only worked for the one rc session when i import the combined rcz file. When I exit and restart I lose the obd2 data. I must have messed it up somehow, because I also cannot edit title or description and i cannot export a lap or the full session (i.e. video with overlays...) while I have both data source active.

It would be more user friendly to be able to multiselect sessions and choose to combine data and select which sources you would like from each session when there is overlap.

But really the gopro data extraction is 90% of what i need so i will probably just stick with that.
  • Sure, as I said this is an unsupported way, prone to errors. But if you do it right then it should work. I try to avoid complicated features in the app, as they rarely get used, and still need maintenance. But I will consider all requests.