RaceChrono and OBDII

edited November 2013 in General
Hi!
Hope someone can help
Downloaded the latest version of RaceChrono from the google store.
Tried two different devices: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 and Dell Streak.
Tried two different "Blue China" OBDII adapters (claim 1.5 compatible)

I can't seem to get RAceChrono to find the OBDII device.
I used Torque Pro which as able to find both "Blue China" OBDII adapters. (I did turn off Torque Pro after validating the OBD was working)
any other ideas?
thankx!

Comments

• edited November 2013
    What exactly do you mean that RaceChrono cannot find them? Are they not visible in device selection dialog? Or how?

Few pointers:
    - RaceChrono doesn't automatically look for the paired devices, you need to configure them from RaceChrono settings
    - RaceChrono cannot use any Bluetooth devices that are currently being used by other apps. So need to make sure no other apps using them are running.
  • edited November 2013
    Hello,
    I am a new RaceChrono user and I have the same problem as MisterT.
    I use version 2.44 on Android and and "Blue China Mini" OBDII adapter on Volkwagen Golf V.
    The Adaptor works perfectly with Torque.

No luck with RaceChrono, it seams correctly paired (configured from RaceChrono Settings), but : no gauges are displayed and nothing is recorded from the adapter.

I thried with 2 phones : Galaxy S2 and Nexus 4, no way.
    I also think there is a problème somewhere...
    Hope you can help

Thanks
  • edited November 2013
    If the device can be selected, and it seems to connect (there is no red "connecting to OBD-II" message that does not disappear"), but the gauges do not appear, it might be a protocol issue.

For protocol issues: Turn on the "RaceChrono > Settings > Expert settings > Save device output" setting, record a new session with the OBD-II reader configured, and send me the "/RaceChrono/session_(date)_(time)/device_(id)_output.obd" file from the device storage.
  • Hello,
    Thanks fo your answer.
    I confirm there is no red "connecting to OBD-II" message.
    I have seen this message only once : when Torque was running in the background and connected to the adaptor (I did it for testing only).
    I will configure RaceChrono and record a test session as you are indicating. I'll send you the file hopefully tomorrow.
    Thanks
  • Hello,
    I made the test session today and retrieved the device_2_output.obd file.
    For preview I opened the file with a text editor and this is what I got :

ELM327 v1.5

>ATE0
    OK

>CAN ERROR

>CAN ERROR

>CAN ERROR

>CAN ERROR

The CAN error message repeates itself to the end of the file (hundreds of lines)
    Do you still need the file and to which email do I send it to ?

Looks like a CAN protocole problem but I confirm this adatptor works perfectly with Torque

The adaptor I use is this one :

http://racechrono.com/photos/obd/IMG_20130726_131431.jpg

Hope you can help,
    Thanks
  • edited November 2013
    Hmm interesting, I will need to do more testing to fix this. Seems like the reader is not detecting your car BUS correctly.
  • edited November 2013
    Update on this problem: I found a fix and will make a new beta version soon.

Please join the beta group to get the fix early: http://www.racechrono.com/forum/#/discussion/832/beta-group
  • Thanks for the update. I will test the new release and let you know.
    Cheers.
  • edited December 2013
    I post here too. Like others, I use blue-china OBDII, torque and racechrono (and racerender2 as program). With torque no problems, but when I go in the device selection box, I can see the "OBD-II reader (trial)" option, I can select it but in the device box there is always written "Not used for recording".
    For example. In the device box #1 I select "Internal GPS receiver" and I flag the "use for recording" box. In the device box #2 I select "OBD-II reader (trial)" option and I flag the "use for recording" box (but in the device box "status" I read "not used for recording"!!). I start recording but I see no data from Ecu in the .csv (V1 or V2) file. The same happens if I select OBD-II in the device box #1 and GPS receiver in #2. Could you help me?
  • The "use for recording" box needs to be checked. It should say "OBD-II reader" where it says "not used for recording". Also join the beta group to download v2.45 beta 3, it has one related bug fixed.
  • Yep, the "use for recording" box is checked... ;) but it doesn't say "OBD-II reader" but always "not used for recording"...
  • edited December 2013
    h181w82,
    1) What does the box say when you go back to main, and come back to settings? Are the check box still checked and OBD-II still selected?
    2) Does it say "connecting to OBD-II reader" when you start the session? When the OBD-II reader is not connected to car, it should always say "connecting to OBD-II reader".
    3) Which Android device are you using and which Android version does it have?
  • I downloaded version 2.45 beta 3 and it seems to work really well!! Yeah!
    I think the problem was the OBD-II protocol...
    1) the check box (I think you would say the "use for recording" box...) was still selected when I went back but the OBD-II not. When I went back, the OBD-II wasn't connected anymore. I don't know why, but with this beta version it remains connected!
    2) No, it doesn't. I will try 2-3 times with this version...
    3) I'm using Samsung Galaxy SII with version 4.1.2 (the last one for Italy)

Thanks! I will try with this beta version and then I will say you how it works!
  • edited December 2013
    h181w82, ok there might be some bug with the settings view code. Good thing the OBD-II connection it self seems to be working now with the beta!
  • Hello there. New to the forum and kinda noob to the product. I downloaded the app and Paired with my ODB it says paired and everything, but how do I know is working? At least on Torque when it connects you see numbers going up and down and matched RPMS, etc. I've been reading a few threads here and you guys talk about gauges, I see the gauges but it only shows Satellite and Speed, but the channels I have selected are the default ones: RPM, Throttle Position, Intake Temp and Coolant Temp. I will like to suggest if is possible and not programming headache to maybe have an area inside settings to test all the devices, because the only way I see this working is only if you open a track and a session and start driving your car which is a bit uncomfortable if you are just testing the product like I am. But thanks in advanced.
  • Manny76, you're quire right it's hard to tell (even for me) if all devices are connected. The OBD-II feature is quite new, so there is still lot of development to do related to that in future. Few tips:

1) It is not enough (or even needed) to pair devices in phone settings; All devices need to be set-up in RaceChrono settings.

2) After you have desired OBD-II reader configured in RaceChrono settings, then just start a new session. You will see "Connecting to OBD-II device" for short time until the device is connected.

3) When the device is connected, it will take about 10 seconds to the gauges to appear. Notice only the gauges that are selected AND supported by the vehicle will appear. You can now go to settings (while still recording), and re-select the recorded channels.
  • Thanks aol, well I know the device is paired, I don't see any error poping up anywhere, i kinda left the car running for a while while park but the guages never showed up. Ill try one more time today. Now you said "supported by the vehicle" how do I know which ones are supported? I think I know what you mean just want to be sure. On Torque I can see RPMs, Throttle and Temp, so if torque can read it, it means the car support it right?
  • Ok i tried again and while recording I unchecked and checked the channels and nothing. Now new gauges show up but none were the ones like temp or RPM.
  • edited December 2013
    Manny76, can you confirm that you have configured the OBD-II reader in RaceChrono settings? I ask because in Torque it is enough just to pair the devices. But in RaceChrono you need to configure the OBD-II reader to the RaceChrono settings.

Which gauges come up? Any of them OBD-II related?

Also, please join the beta group, to get the v2.45 beta 3. There is one OBD-II issue fixed (read above), and I think it is related to using Torque app (it changes the reader configuration).

Also you might be interested doing following:
    For debugging protocol issues: Turn on the "RaceChrono > Settings > Expert settings > Save device output" setting, record a new session with the OBD-II reader configured, and send me the "/RaceChrono/session_(date)_(time)/device_(id)_output.obd" file from the device storage.
  • edited July 2015
    Hi
    I know this an old thread but the issue sounds similar to the one I'm having!

I'm running racechrono pro (v4.2.4) on my htc one m8 and can't get any readings from the OBD-II reader. It's the same (or at least looks the same) china blue "elm327" mini reader used by the OP.
    It connects to the device fine and the "connecting to OBD-II reader" message quickly disappears and I get dials but all have "-" and no readout, only the date/time is shown. It is definitely talking to the reader as all lights on it start flashing when recording starts. I've tried different protocol settings and with and without the "bluetooth fix" option ticked but made no difference :/
    Screenshot: http://s29.postimg.org/tp6qlljkn/Screenshot_2015_07_26_19_10_38.png

Here's some of the output from the "device_output_2.obd" file:

ATZ

ELM327 v2.1

>ATE0
    OK

>OK

>SEARCHING...
    41 00 BE 3E B8 11

>7F 01 12
    NO DATA

>7F 01 12
    NO DATA

>7F 01 12
    NO DATA

>7F 01 12
    NO DATA

>7F 01 12
    NO DATA

>7F 01 12
    NO DATA

>7F 01 12
    NO DATA

>7F 01 12
    NO DATA

>7F 01 12
    NO DATA

>7F 01 12
    NO DATA

>7F 01 12
    NO DATA

Tested with the Torque app first and this works fine - RPM, speed, etc values all displayed in real time. (wasn't running when running racechrono)
    Any suggestions?
    Cheers!
  • edited July 2015
    giftedbutlazy: Which car (year/model) is this? The first response looks good (41 ...), but the 7F 01 12 / NO DATA does not look right.

Edit: Found out the 7F 01 12 means "PID not supported". RaceChrono gets confused by this and it tries to retry the PID. I will have to fix this. Meanwhile you can try first disable all, and then to enable the OBD-II channels one by one to see if any of them will work alone. Disable all of them in both fast and slow channels.
  • Thanks, I'll try enabling one channel at a time and see what happens. It's a 2002 Clio 172
  • edited August 2015
    Ok, tried enabling all OBD-II channels one by one in both fast and slow channels but none are working.

Output file still showing the same 7F 01 12 code repeated:

>7F 01 12
    NO DATA

>7F 01 12
    NO DATA

>

ELM327 v2.1

>ATE0
    OK

>OK

>SEARCHING...
    41 00 BE 3E B8 11

>7F 01 12
    NO DATA

>7F 01 12
    NO DATA

>7F 01 12
    NO DATA

Still only seems able to receive date/time from the car
  • Ok. I think there is no workaround then. I need to support this 7F 01 12
  • I there,
    I'm having the same issue as giftedbutlazy. I get the time showing up in the OBD section but all other gauges are blank. Any idea what I may be doing wrong?
    export of the log file below. During this I'd turned everything off, then tried enabling Engine RPM in fast, then in slow, as well as tried enabling throttle position and speed with all guages showing blanks. I have shortened the below as the last nights were just repeated forever.

ATZ

ELM327 v2.1

>ATE0
    OK

>OK

>SEARCHING...
    41 00 BE 1F A8 13
    1: 06 41 00 98 18 80 01

>41 00 BE 1F A8 13

>41 00 BE 1F A8 13

>41 00 BE 1F A8 13

>41 00 BE 1F A8 13

• clutrz: Ok, that's new... Need to add support for that too.
  • Thanks for the response aol. Will I need to sign up for beta? I'm guessing it's far too much to ask if this would take long to implement? I've got a track day coming up on the 27th which I was hoping to be able to use this for. (I'm dreaming I know).
  • edited September 2015
    Sorry, it's going to take some time, as I've just ordered the OBD-II reader you have for testing it. I doubt I can do it for 27th.
  • Hi aol, just thought id follow up on the above query with my reader?