ODB-II + Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 Bosh Motronic TS'98 1.5.5 not worked

config:

phone: htc one m9 + android 6.0
OBD-II: vgate ELM327 over bluetooth

Racechrono connected to this device (green indication enabled on screen), but no telemetry data received from ECU.
With AlfaOBD (android programm) all data received from ECU is normal, without connection lost or wrong data interpretation.

What could be the problem?

Comments

• edited May 2016
    1) Turn on the "RaceChrono > Settings > Expert settings > Save device output" setting

2) Record a new session with the OBD-II reader configured, and send me the output file from phone's storage:
    - RaceChrono: /Android/data/com.racechrono.app/files/sessions/session_(date)_(time)/device_(id)_output.obd
    - RaceChrono Pro: /Android/data/com.racechrono.pro/files/sessions/session_(date)_(time)/device_(id)_output.obd
  • It maybe that even tough the car has OBD-II port it does not conform to standard OBD-II protocol, because it became mandatory equipment only in year 2000. Does other apps work, like Torque for example?
  • edited May 2016
    ATZ

ELM327 v2.1

>ATE0
    OK

>OK

>SEARCHING...
    UNABLE TO CONNECT

>SEARCHING...
    UNABLE TO CONNECT

>SEARCHING...

PS: Torque and others not worked.
  • 156 isn't OBDII/EOBD compliant. Don't think they were until mid 2000's.
  • edited May 2016
    techieboy

http://www.multiecuscan.net/SupportedVehiclesList.aspx

Bosch Motronic M1.5.5 Injection (TS '98) worked with OBDKey. If 156 isn't OBDII/EOBD compliant, how it's possible? street's magic?
  • edited May 2016
    I think the AlfaOBD uses some special commands / initialization. Same hw still works but not standard software
  • i can save BT traffic in developer mode to the file. it help to resolve problem? or need full list of specific commands?
  • It might be interesting at least
  • Hm... I see BT log file.

first: initialisation modem sequence in race chrono is very short. two commands... But in AlfaODB more than ten commands.
    second: after initialisation race chorno send to ECU next request: 01 00\r (it's text presentation). it's typical J1979 PID's request. But AlfaRomeo ECU not supported it or interpriate it wrong.

AlfaRomeoODB prog send to the ECU next sequense: 1A97\r (it's text presenation). And ECU send answer: BUS INIT: OK\r>

after this programm sends specific requests for receiving typical params (ask temp, rpm and others) and recived from ECU initiative commands.

if i send u all ECU requests and answers, u realise support of my car?
  • Yes, it's possible. Please send the whole log to tracks(at)racechrono.com and I'll see what I can do.
  • sended
  • Reviving a very old thread here.

Did you have guys any luck? With that whole log?
  • edited March 2023
    @alexkeramidas I got the log, but I never replied to that email (sorry @Lonely !). I think I run out of ideas after looking at it, and waited to reply until I forgot. Unfortunately my expertise on data buses is quite limited to the vehicles I personally own.