GPS issues in karting

Hello everybody,
I tried the RaceChrono app for Android using the internal GPS for a few karting runs, but it turned out to be totally unusable due to the low GPS accuracy with constants jumps in position, crossing the path itself, etc . I had the phone attached to my chest with a "harness".
Is it normal this low accuracy using the internal GPS? Could it be the position of the phone (attached to my chest) a reason for it?

In case of buying an external GPS what would be the cheapest but still reliable option for karting? I have read good reviews about Garmin Glo, but although in the specifications it is said that supports 10Hz, seems that it is not working at 10Hz with this app, is there any reason for this? And what about the Qstarz BT-Q818XT?
Thanks!

Comments

• edited October 2017
    Hi,

The karting circuits are tough for GPS as they are usually quite tight and small. Much more accuracy is required for a karting circuit than a full size track.

Usually internal GPS is not enough for karting, but it also depends on the phone that you use. Some are better than others, but usually I'll recommend external GPS. Phone being attached to your chest is probably not the best choice, but it probably won't help you much even if you attach it to the steering wheel.

I'd get Garmin GLO for use with Android, despite that you'll only get 7-8 Hz. The accuracy is still better than the competition.
  • Thank you for the answer. So I think I will go for a Garmin Glo, I hope it is accurate enough for karting in tights circuits.
    By the way, attaching the phone to the steering wheel, would not affect the accelerations readings? specially the lateral acceleration (the most interesting for me) when turning the steering wheel...
  • Location is quite critical. My best locations for a Garmin GLO are either on an arm band on right bicep (you can also locate a phone here as well) or on the right bib strap of my chest protector with the phone located mid chest. Left side would probably do but I use a GoPro on my left shoulder and mounting the GPS with the GoPro did not work well. Above works well at Buckmore Park and Glan y Gors with good comparison with official race timing data. Note Buckmore Park will not allow head mount cameras.
  • I can recommend Garmin Glo, I have installed mine under the nose of my son's Honda Cadet kart and the accuracy is very good at Camberley or Bayford Meadows. Shame there is now way to connect RPM but overall this is working quite well with RaceChrono.
  • I use a Qstars BT818XT at 5Hz for karting. 5Hz because this GPS receiver has much better postiion accuracy at 5Hz than at 10Hz.
  • edited March 2018
    @DrMotor, the issue with BT818XT and 10 Hz is that it does not support DGPS satellite in 10 Hz mode, hence poor position accuracy.
  • @aol: Yes, i know -- that's why I switched it to 5Hz 4 years ago.
    I think the performance at 5Hz is OK/sufficient for karting.
  • edited March 2018
    @DrMotor
    20hz vbox sport:*video removed*
  • @lzzl551: nice video and all, but if you want to post it here, you need to create the overlays using RaceChrono... I'm trying to run business here, so no promoting other apps :)
  • @aol i'm sorry
  • No problem, just wanted to give you explanation why I removed it