No Sound in Video

I am using the Google Nexus 7 2013 with Android 6.0.1
I recently tried recording a test session before going to a track, and there was no sound in the video. Is there a setting for sound? Is there anything that can be done to correct the problem?
I had to switch to TrackAddict, as it records sound with the video.

Comments

• edited July 2018
    @DonC RaceChrono does record audio with video, so it's either configuration problem or a device specific issue.

Configuration:
    1) First, make sure the expert settings are back to defaults. Go to Settings > Expert Settings > Press X - button on top. This will reset your expert settings.
    2) Start your session and go to the camera preview screen.
    3) Tap the camera configuration box open. Make sure the green microphone button is white (not green). If it's green it is using external (or secondary) microphone. You want to use the primary microphone, as it's the default.
    4) Try recording video, and see if audio is captured.

Device:
    5) I will upgrade my Nexus 7 (2013) to latest Android and see if I can record audio with it.
    6) Your device might also have your primary microphone dead, so you could try taping the external microphone button (so it turns green). See point 3)

• Yes, I think the microphone isn't working.
  • Did you try the "External microphone" setting? It _should_ use different microphone for audio, when external is not connected. Just tested my Nexus 7 (2013) upgraded to 6.0.1 and works perfectly with both microphone settings.
  • edited July 2018
    The local phone repair guy told me to "get a new phone" because my Nexus 7 2013 is "too old" Fortunately, the "RaceChrono tablet" is a spare device, so I could use the other one for a while, if I can find a repair facility.
  • Try connecting a handsfree (wired) microphone. Maybe it can be used with or without the "external microphone" setting. Probably not worth fixing the device.
  • If the internal microphone is not working, you won't get any sound from any source.
  • What an external microphone?

Could you use a Bluetooth microphone or headset or earpiece for the microphone? It seems that only phones have a headset jack.
    It would be nice to record the sound of the exhaust instead of the sound of you talking to yourself or the sounds of shifting or the steering wheel, which clicks from the tern signal switches..