Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 Tablet - app crash

edited August 2014 in RaceChrono for Android
So I realize it's not a likely target device for driving with :) but I wanted to point out that when I navigate to the "map" page, RaceChrono 3.20 crashes consistently on my Kindle Fire HDX 8.9.

I side-loaded RaceChrono, then paired it with a Qstarz 818XT BlueTooth GPS receiver. From the Satellite signal strength screen, I can see that it's able to detect my velocity and altitude, but just not display the map.

Now, this is not a major concern as I will be driving with my Samsung Galaxy S4.

My real question is, if I get the Pro version, can I copy the videos and other data files from my S4 to the Kindle to do Video editing and datalogger/video sync on the Kindle? Has anyone tried that?

I would prefer the larger screen to do the edit (I also think it has a more powerful CPU tho I'm not sure about that)

Thanks for any input from the community or from Antti directly.

Kuyper

Comments

• Hi Kuyper,

Kinde Fire doesn't have the Play Store or Google APIs required by RaceChrono. Great to know it works until the map would be displayed, as I never have done any work for it to work at all. The Pro version will not work at all, as it needs Goole Play License Validation, and that works only on those devices that are Google branded from factory. These side loads etc. are just hacks that will make the app work to some point, but then fail.

What would be needed would be special Kindle version. I have considered it but so far there hasn't been enough interest to justify the work required.

PS. Many chinese cheap tablets do not have either these APIs
  • Kiitos Antti.

It may be worth considering support for Amazon's Appstore (even if not for the Fire HDX) as they are growing fast, esp now that they have a Fire phone.

I bought the Pro version for my Galaxy S4 and it seems to have worked fine during yesterday's session, however, the camera would not activate as it would not detect when I went to Landscape mode. Interestingly, since installing Pro (which won't go to landscape) my "free" version (still installed) is *stuck* in Landscape!

Not a big issue as I recorded the video on a GoPro. I assume I am stuck doing the editing on my phone (which means uploading the 3GB video file from each session) to the phone?

Thanks for a great product and for being active on the support forums!

Cheers
    Kuyper

• edited August 2014
    The rotation through accelerometers is disabled in the live view. This is because the screen could rotate due to cornering at speed in race track. On top of the screen there is a button to make the screen rotate. Click that and you should be ok. If there's further problem with it, I'm glad to help!

I'm considering the Amazon app store, but no decisions yet.
  • edited August 2014
    [deleted comment asking how to export video; found it when I looked a little harder :) - it's going to be a long, slow conversion, however: 7/1486 to go after one minute! :) ]

Thanks; the screen rotate icon worked.

BTW, 2 nice extras to the overlay would be a "bullseye" g-meter and link 2 (more?) videos (PiP) - of course I know I should just fork out for RaceRender....

Thanks again
    Kuyper
  • Bullseye is coming soon(ish), but PiP is not at least in near future. I'm working on improving the video exporting speed too.
  • Great, thanks about the bullseye. Sadly my first attempt at render failed; the video (25 min, perhaps it's too long?) was not playable. There was still space on my SDcard; I'll try it one more time when I have a break.
  • edited August 2014
    The external sdcard file system has 4 GB file size limit, and therefore longer videos will unfortunately corrupt. Phone internal storage doesnt have this limitation. That said this is RC problem and I will be fixing it.