OBD requests

Hi,

The OBD works great for data logging with RaceRender, better than Torque (faster refresh rate), but the problem is that it only starts the logging when the GPS is ready.
I did a race last week-end that starts inside, so there was no GPS signal, so no OBD logging, that's sad because I'm using datas for video overlay.
I think that if you use multiple data interfaces (GPS + OBD), the data recording should start as soon as the first one is ready. (That's what Torque is doing)

Second thing, as I'm doing standing start races (slalom), it would be great if the chronometer could start when the OBD speed starts, and not the GPS speed, because with 1Hz GPS it's not very accurate.

Thanks for the great work !!

Comments

• This is very tricky because RaceChrono needs to sync to the GPS clock before setting timestamps for the OBD data requests. RaceChrono could theoretically use the phone time, but it is not guaranteed to be correct like the GPS time. Also many functions of RC would not work anymore without GPS.
  • edited August 2014
    Got it. And what about the standing start ? Could it trigger on the OBD speed if OBD and GPS are both connected ?
  • Yeah it could I guess. Not on my immediate plans to touch that code though, but maybe later.
  • I have the Blue Elm 327 Mini (the same one in your photo) which was supplied to me by the Software Engineer that Tuned my Triumph Daytona but, I can't get it to connect to my RaceChrono Pro on my Galaxy S3. So from what I'm reading above it won't connect until it syncs with the QStar GPS I'm using?
  • It should connect immediately and start receiving values from ECU, although it doesn't record them until the GPS has a lock to satellites. Unfortunately there is something proprietary with the Triumph ECUs OBD-II handshake, and currently it does not work with RaceChrono.
  • Yes, I have heard there is a issue with the 2013 Daytona and the ECU being locked but, other people have been able to extract data from the previous year models using different Apps.
    I tried it tonight with the GPS connected so the App could get the time stamp from the GPS but, it still wouldn't connect.
  • OK, I did not know there's a year model difference. Then you could try setting the OBD-II protocol from expert settings to: ISO 15765-4 11 bit ID, 500 Kbaud