Speed Logging Off - Thoughts?

All, please check out this RaceRender video using RaceChrono OBD-II logging for speed/rpm/throttle and position and let me know if you have seen this issue before. Throttle and RPM are fine, but the speed is off in a random way. My earlier session that day was spot on, so it is confusing that the next session had data logging issues. Thoughts on this? Using a Samsung Galaxy 4 and RaceChrono 3.20 with the OBD add-in.

Thanks!

Comments

• edited September 2014
    Hi Dan, as you do not mention which GPS you're using, I'm assuming you're using the internal GPS the phone. When the GPS signal is bad it will produce results like this. To fix it maybe try to place the phone for better GPS reception (on the dash), or purchase an external GPS, such as Garmin GLO or Dual XGPS 160. It might be you're never able to receive good enough GPS reception.

If you do not mind the bad GPS data, but want to fix the video, there's another trick you can try: Use OBD-II speed instead of the GPS speed. RaceChrono Pro doesn't yet allow this for video overlays, but as you're using some external PC app for the overlays, you could try that already.

PS. received your email too, but I'm answering here as it might give answers to other users too
  • Antti, I believed I was using the OBD-II connection for speed (same as throttle and RPM in this video as all 3 values are referencing the RaceChrono export file) -- I have a Qstarz BT-Q818XT but wasn't intending to use it for speed reference. Is there a setting in RaceChrono to force logging using the car's speedo rather than GPS position or something similar that I'm not correctly addressing?
    Thanks for the reply as always!
    Dan
  • edited September 2014
    If you have set logging for OBD-II speed from RaceChrono settings, you still need to configure OBD-II speed for the gauge in RaceRender. It will use GPS speed as default, as both channels are exported. The default units is meters per second for that channel, so some units conversion is needed in the RaceRender software (maybe refer RaceRender documentation on how to do it).