Video exporting with Acer Liquid E2

This discussion was created from comments split from: Which phone / GPS receiver should I buy? Report your experiences here.

Comments

• For an upcoming trackday, I'm considering buying the Pro version of Racechrono. I'm just wondering what kind of hardware is needed for exporting external video (13mbps 1080p h.264 from chinese action cam) with overlays.
    I have an Acer Liquid E2 right now, based on a Mediatek MT6589 SoC: quad core 1.2Ghz Cortex A7 cpu with 1MB of ram and a PowerVR SGX544MP GPU, 540x960 screen.
    It can play backvideo from my action cam just fine, not sure if it is enough to handle the overlays. Plus do I need to 'Record Interal Sensors' in Expert Settings if I want a G-force overlays as well?
  • I do not have devices with Mediatek MT6589 SoC (possibly I should purchase one though). The playback of videos means the video analysis mode should work fine. The overlaying should work too, but it may be slow. Which Android version does it have BTW?
  • It runs the stock (rooted) firmware, which is Android 4.2.2. I went ahead and bought the pro version this morning. Did a quick drive with the car, running both Racechrono (with 'record internal sensors' checked) and my action cam on. I got a 'finding gyroscope' message on my screen for the duration of the drive. So either my Acer has no Gyroscope, or Racechrono didn't record it.
    I'll see if I can import the video and get the overlays working.
  • Just linked and synced my action cam video. Works like a charm (once you stop trying to match the wrong data recording to your video, duh...) I'm getting a speed dail, track map and laptimer. No g-force indicator however, any way to enable that within Racechrono?

I'm getting no luck exporting the video with overlay. Just a 'video encoding has failed' error message, with a link to an empty video export log. Tried all quality setting, exporting to internal and external sdcard, and the whole video as well as a short section. Any ideas what the problem is? The video file is a 1GB 1080p mov, export is mp4. Maybe that's a problem?
  • The log file writer has a bug and it is not flushed, resulting 0 size log in the current version... Can you put the raw video to google drive or dropbox, and also share the session. You can send them (links) to tracks(at)racechrono.com and I will investigate.

There is no g-force overlay in the current version. I plan to add it soon though.
  • Also check if you are able to export video recorded with the internal camera.
  • Thanks for the reply. No video file is exported (searched for all .mp4 files on my sdcard). The error message pops up almost immediately after starting export. It's there a specific folder I can check?
    The other expert options (csv, etc) work fine. I'll try internal video recording and exporting tomorrow.
  • I would need the raw video file not the exported one. I would run it through the export pipe at my dev. environment to see if I can reproduce the problem.
  • Ah, I understand. I'll upload it later today and mail you the link.
  • edited September 2014
    I've just tested the video file. It is from an external camera (which one?), and it seems it cannot currently be handled by RaceChrono's video export pipe. It complains about the audio format. I will try to fix that.
  • edited September 2014
    Chinese actioncam commonly found as wdv5000 on alieexpress, dealextreme etc. Or rebranded with a similar type number. Mine was labelled as a 'Denver' and sold at the local chemist chain.
    The audio is pretty miserable, so I could consider recording without audio (which is an option on the cam).

Edit; a short test confirms exporting internal video to work just fine. But recording is limited to 640x480 resolution, where my phone is capable of recording 1080p.