Changed phones. RaceChrono does not work with my 818XT.

edited September 2014 in RaceChrono for Android
I had a droid 4. I used RaceChrono last year with my 818XT.
I now have a droid Maxx. RaceChrono only sees the internal GPS.

It seems that you need RaceChrono Pro to use an external GPS. Did that change? Or did I have the Pro version on my old droid 4 and now have the free version on my droid Maxx?

Comments

• Nothing has changed, you still need to configure the external GPS from the RaceChrono settings. Set the GPS type to "Bluetooth GPS" and pick the device. Make sure the 818XT is fully charged.

RaceChrono Free is still enough for using the Bluetooth GPS. Some other features are limited for Pro.
  • Ahhh, yes, user error. In my defense, I had gone to the settings and Device #1 was defaulted to the internal GPS so I unchecked "use for recording" there. Then went to device #2 and under Device type it said "not selected"... somehow I just figured it would find the paired 818XT and list it. I never thought to tap on Device Type. Maybe a box or menu buttons in the settings to distinguish labels from tapable areas? (I know, weak. but it's the best I could come up with :))

Now I have to go re-read my 818XT manual. Switch the button to "1hz" and RaceChrono shows a solid 5hz (yes I remember they defaulted it to that in my model). If I switch the button to "10hz" it constantly floats around between 6hz and 8.5 or 9 and sometimes 10hz. Interesting.

I sort of understand that you don't get dgps in the 10hz position so I gather 5hz ("1hz" switch selection) is the overwhelming preference for the track? (lol, I do know how to use the search feature. I'll go do that).

thanks!