"Connecting to GPS" problem on Android 2.3 and Garmin GLO

Hi,
I'm trying to create a setup for our race car using RaceChrono.

I have the following hardware/sw installed; RaceChrono 4.0.9, HTC Desire HD, Android 2.3.5, Garmin Glo and am using Bluetooth GPS to connect the phone to the Garmin Glo.

When I start RaceChrono and select the GPS Device, it finds it, pairs and connects. However, when I then start recording it state that it is "connecting" and waiting for data. I think I've switched off everything using the internal GPS and I've also tried the bluetooth fix. I just can't get it to record. It seems to work fine if I select the internal GPS receiver for the phone which leads me to believe it's an issue with the Garmin but I don't really understand why as I can see people using this GPS Receiver with RaceChrono on the forums.

So... does anyone have any thoughts on how to solve this? Do I have an ancient phone with such an old version of android that's causing the problem? Or is there something obvious a newbie is missing????

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• edited March 2015
    The old version of android has definitely something to do with it. I remember this being tricky before Android 4.0. Have you paired the device? If so make sure you unpair it from bluetooth settings. Then switch off the "bluetooth fix" expert setting. Try to connect.

Also if you hadn't paired it, you can try to pair it, because pairing/unpairing is one piece in the puzzle making it work. Although I think the first suggestion should work if it's going to work at all.

If you want to keep using this phone model longer (as you will not receive new RaceChrono versions for too long anymore), I suggest you look at Cyanogenmod operating system. I think there's even Cyanogenmod 12 available for your device which is based on Android 5.0. It requires some computer skills to install it, but if you or your friends have any, I can warmly recommend it.

• Thanks for the reply. I've got it to work. The problem lay with me using the app "Bluetooth GPS" to initially connect to the Garmin. Once I removed this step from the process I was able to connect RaceChrono and the Garmin. Brilliant! A few weeks till the season begins and I may have a way of adding telemetry! Looking forward to many more hours fun!!!
  • Yep. Never ever use the "Bluetooth GPS" app with RaceChrono. Doesn't work, not sure why people do that. Garmin GLO manuals says so?
  • Yes Garmin GLO manuals say so! I wonder how much pain that little snippet has caused people!
  • Ok good to know!