Why is export now paid feature?

Hi,
Why now export data on .csv or .nmea with racechrono became a not free option ?
Since the begining of Racechrono it was free for export datas...
Why paid for something that was free just 1 month ago ?

Comments

• edited March 2015
    It was hard decision to make it a paid feature. Simple and honest reason for this change was the fact that I'm doing this full time now and I need to pay my bills. Exporting is an advanced feature of the app, and I think anyone using it cannot be considered casual user. If it's fair that I give basic functionality for free, I think it's also fair if the advanced users pay something for the nice app they get.

Paying users make it possible to develop this app; without them I would already be doing something else for living and this app would not receive further improvements...
  • Its not a normal prodecure in the real life.
    You can demand users paying for news features but it's abnormal to demand money for something that always was free in on your software.
    I respect your work but not this way do to something that was already present and free.
    If I have to pay for something I need to know before making my choice and at that time I know what to expect.
    But for this old feature you took away something free and you demand money for have again this export feature.

• edited March 2015
    I gave it for free in the old versions but no longer in the new version. I own RaceChrono not anyone else, and have absolute right to monetize the app the way I see fit. It's not like you had PAID for a set of features, and I would be asking for more money for same set of features. That will not happen! I'm sorry if this change upsets you or any other long time user of the app. But like I said this allows me to make the app better.

Anyone who has purchased any of the in-app-purchases or RaceChrono Pro also have automatic access to the unlimited export feature. So it is limited to 45 seconds only for those who have not paid anything for the app. They still get lap timing, analysis etc. for free.
  • You are a good developper but a bad manager because you take bad strategic decisions. Never force people to buy something by creating a need that is initially provided them free. You make a big mistake, you will see it. Here I'm not talking about money but of principles and logic.

Many people think the same that me about your decision and the disparition of the exportation.

Now i have 2 days of datas unusable because you have made this thing with no inform. If I had been inform in advance I would have used another device or buyed your plugin. But you have no transparency so now i'm not in trust

I say it again because it's very important, it is absolutely not about money, it's just a matter of principle and transparency with users.
  • edited March 2015
    It's now done and the possible damage as well. I do not fully understand your reasoning, but then again we look at this from different sides of the table. That said, I know have a lot to learn, as a manager and also as a developer. Also I know here is a lesson be learned.

If you have data you want to export, and not pay me anything, please send the sessions to me tracks(at)racechrono.com and I will export them to a format you want. I have no desire to keep your data as hostage.
  • I disagree Insidr. aol has done an excellent job on the app. I can understand the frustration of losing a feature you depend on, but at the sametime this app is well worth the $20 or whatever for the pro version.
  • edited March 2015
    Seefo, thanks for the support :) What Insidr said this is not about money, but rather about transparency and communication, which I have done badly. So I apologise to anyone whose upset, and I try to do my job better in the future on that side. But what I'm not sorry about slightest bit is me trying to make money from RaceChrono. I think it's a great app and anyone using it more than casually should be able to spare a few coins.
  • Insidr, I think you get paid for your job and I think it is a bit unreasonable to be demanding to get a free application with free upgrades of this application for ever.
    At the end of the day, if you are doing trackdays the cost of Racechrono Pro is very little compared to the expenses of a trackday.
  • As I understand it, Insidr's objection is not over some features being only in the paid version, but the move of formerly free features to paid. I can see how that would be frustrating. The offer of converting sessions for free is a good interim solution for Insidr. It's not quite the same as being able to do it oneself at any time, but seems the best available.

I think that giving some advance notice of the change would have reduced the frustration. Most users understand the freemium model but would be understandably upset when the feature set decisions change. After seeing aol's work for some time, I firmly believe this was simply poorly communicated rather than some malicious bait-and-switch. He is now trying to make amends and recover trust as he takes the product forward.

I'd suggest publishing a roadmap of key upcoming changes - whether new features or migration from free to paid - would be valuable for everyone. If you're uncomfortable about over-committing, marking items as "tentative" is common enough that people should understand a slip in schedule or change in focus. The roadmap can even serve as an enticement to new users, making them more willing to install the product when they see the direction it's going.
  • All of that are good suggestions but I am really questionning the mentality that has derived from these AppStore/GooglePlay business model. When a developer post an application for FREE on one of these electronic store, he is free to include whatever functionnality he wants. He is also free to remove whatever functionnality he deams resonable to turn to a paid function. No one can't be against vertu but none of us pays his bill with principle ... Let's assume that AOL would have published his product road map months in advance, what would you have changed in your case. Buy a more expensive application to show your madnest ... It is not true to say that it has nothing to do with money. It has everything to do with money ! People wants everything for free.
  • edited April 2015
    I've decided to give .APK of RaceChrono v3.20 to anyone who doesn't like the decision to make exporting a paid feature. This way you can still use the older version of the app with unlimited free exports. Obviously you will miss out any future development on the app, such as the v4.0 improvements and proper Android 5.0 support. But I still think it's a good compromise with those that are unhappy about this, at least they will be able to export their data.

If you want the older version, just contact me through the feedback form in the "About" section, or the support email address given by Play Store.

I'm not direct linking the .APK here, as obviously I want as many people as possible to use the latest version.
  • Thank you for all you do for us for many years. I do use Race Chrono since Symbian version and exports too (I use Race chrono windows on laptop), as real comparsion on small phone screens is not suitable...
    I understand Insidr as I was surprised too. I have Pro version on one phone, but as I use older phone as dash laptimer, I need to export basic data (lap times) from this one, which has just free version, so thank you for your decision with older version...