Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newbie question regarding bike OBD

Just purchased race Chrono and am reading post saying about syncing with the OBD.
I know what an OBD is but can anyone tell me how I can connect one to my GSXR 1000 k5 and sync it to race chrono? Do I need to buy a bluetooth OBD module and connect it to the bikes ECU? Then sync it to my phone.

Comments

• aolaol
    edited March 10
    This is a question that cannot be answered completely without knowing the bike. OBD-II is required by law on cars, but not on bikes. This means there's no guarantee a bike will support OBD-II. Some do some don not. Best way to find out is to ask from brand specific bike forums.

But for example, on my 2018 KTM 790, which supports OBD-II as standard, it works like this. Connect an OBD-II adapter cable to the 6-pin KTM diagnostic port. And then connect a OBD-II reader to end of that cable. Then you can just add the OBD-II reader in RaceChrono settings, and use as you'd use it with a car. There's a list of recommended readers in the Support > FAQ on this web site.
  • This can be answered completely ;)
    No, the bike does not support OBD II. OBD was just a standard for trucks in 1996, then cars ~2005 and introduced for bikes not before 2018.

But yes, you can build a custom device with an Arduino (or similar) and translate the values into OBD compatible values. Or use the upcoming feature to use custom PID´s in RaceChrono.
    I did that for my Kawasaki and enhanced it to Suzuki (but not yet published, due to some reliability issues)
    https://github.com/HerrRiebmann/KDS2Bluetooth
    as you can see here

And there are several other solutions, which are made open source!
  • Thanks guys.
    I`ve done a search and found this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HanrainTool-Motorcycle-Adapter-motorbike-6-Pin/dp/B079CHRKKH/ref=asc_df_B079CHRKKH/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309775958298&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=278029392888143178&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007092&hvtargid=pla-454577022636&psc=1

I`ll check out the recommended CAN bus readers in the forum.

I take it once it`s mated to the app, you can download the revs to the app and then sync it with a vid.

That vid above is good! How did you get your BPM reading?
  • This cable is for OBD II. As I wrote: Your Bike has no OBD II, neither it has CAN Bus.
    You bike uses K-Line communication KWP2000 (ISO-14230).

It could be possible to connect an ELM327 device (for which this cable was designed) with that cable to you bike. But you need a custom initialization process.
    And you need a custom PID. One!
    Because the bike gives you all information in a single response. I don´t expect @aol to design the custom PID functionality in this way.

You will not get around a custom solution with a microcontroller...
    Please find anything needed here:
    https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=236092.0

PS: I recorded the video with a Garmin Virb XE camera. It is compatible with a HRM-strap.
  • @TriB that's interesting information! I could support multiple data channels per PID. Do you have more info? I'd be interested seeing whole terminal session, starting from initialisation to requesting the PID couple of times. You can also email that info to tracks(at)racechrono.com
  • After some further research (together with aol), we got some new findings.

The adapter cable from the link above won´t work! It´s connectors are wrong and maybe the plug also won´t fit. SDS has (with the clip on the top, bikes perspective):
    __--__
    | + 0 0 |
    | 0 K - |
    ----------

It is possible to reconfigure the ELM327, to "speak" SDS. This means, the communication would be possible. But that does not mean, the values can be understood by any application (They must be converted: separated & recalculated).
    aol is working on that and he´s aware about how it must be done, theoretically.

I just messed around with some cables, plugs and adapters. More or less connected a cheap ELM327 china clone to the bike with three cable lugs.
    It doesn´t work! The ELM got power and responded to some commands. But the reconfiguration didn´t work. Most AT-commands were answered with a "?" command unknown. I guess it is due to the clone version of the adapter...

So I cannot create test data, aol could work with. An original ELM327 might work, I don´t know. What I´ll do is to create some data with my very own adapter, so at least aol can check the new custom PID functionality.
  • @TriB, thank you for testing! Let's continue our email exchange, maybe we can figure something out eventually.