Bug: OBD Missing PIDs

@aol

Hello, I'm having a strange issue where once I start recording a session and OBD connects, not all of my normal available PIDs/channels work and/or show up.

For example, I'll go into settings, then go into car specific settings. I'll connect to OBD dongle and select Fast channels: RPM, speed and slow channels: Fuel pressure, coolant temp, intake temp.... just for discussion sake. Everything works great and all of my normal PIDs show up in the selection list just fine (usually a lot to choose from, car is a 2017 Audi S3)

I start a session/log and there will less than 10 available PIDs now and some of the previously selected ones don't show up.

What's really strange is that if I do the exact same procedure of starting a new log, I will have a different result each time as to what PIDs are available.

I first noticed this on v6.1.3. So I updated to 6.1.4 which was just pushed today I think and same result. I checked to see if my OBDlink MX had a new firmware update and it did... updated it, but still same exact result so it seems to point to something with the app now.

I had a random thought that maybe some of the new custom PIDs that I had defined with custom headers were somehow a factor in this....so I removed all of those, but same result.

Took some screenshots in case what I said wasn't clear.

https://i.imgur.com/ecw7Vgq.png
https://i.imgur.com/53pU4hL.png
https://i.imgur.com/0g94ki1.png
https://i.imgur.com/THtHa3Y.png
https://i.imgur.com/npylnxc.png

Comments

  • aolaol
    edited November 2019
    @aaronc7 Thank you for the well written bug report.

    It certainly sounds like a bug, so I did some emergency testing. It works fine on my vehicles, so my guess is the bug is related how you created the Vehicle profile and/or your vehicle.

    Please follow these steps:
    1) Go to your vehicle profile, press "Share" button on top, and share it to me by e-mail.
    2) Enable "Settings > Expert settings > Save device data". This allows me to see what happened.
    3) Turn on your car
    4) Record a session with some OBD-II channels logged. Make sure you can see only the channels in the screenshots, even if you try to scroll the list. The session does not need to be long, 5 minutes is ok.
    5) Open that session, and press "Share" button on top, and share it to me by e-mail.

    bonus step) Create a new vehicle profile. Just add some information like brand and model, but do not touch the OBD-II parameters. Then turn on this new profile in the settings. Does it work now? This will "clean table" and use all default settings for OBD-II.

    PS. If you do not have my "real" e-mail address, just use tracks(at)racechrono.com address.
  • aolaol
    edited November 2019
    To everyone: This is a bug introduced in v6.1 and depending on a vehicle you might be missing some of the OBD-II channels. I will fix this ASAP, and release v6.1.5 that addresses this on both iOS and Android.
  • edited November 2019
    To parrot what I said in email for everyone else: issue appears to be fixed 100% in 6.1.5 beta, thanks for the quick turnaround per usual!
  • I know this is the Android forum, but I’m having the same exact problem on iOS running RC 6.2.1. Vehicle is BMW 328d (F30) 2017. Should I start a new thread or can we discuss here?
  • aolaol
    edited March 19
    You can just continue here. All the related source code is the same anyways. I'm just discussing same problem with someone on Android.

    Please follow these steps:
    1) Go to your vehicle profile, press "Share" button on top, and share it to me by e-mail.
    2) Enable "Settings > Expert settings > Save device data". This allows me to see what happened.
    3) Turn on your car
    4) Record a session with some OBD-II channels logged. Make sure you're experiencing the same problem; not enouch channels, even if you scroll the list etc. The session does not need to be long, 5 minutes is ok.
    5) Open that session, and press "Share" button on top, and share it to me by e-mail. If you don't know my email you can send it to tracks(at)racechrono.com

    I will then analyse and see if it's really a bug. It probably is :)
  • I just sent over the data requested, however I may have stumbled upon the solution while making the log and waiting the 5 minutes. One would assume that selecting certain parameters in the vehicle profile would also enable those same parameters in the gauge view of the session. This is not happening. So I accidentally clicked on the green button with the arrow and it brought me to a view with all my input sensors and their data outputs. Under my Kiwi3 sensor I was able to click on "fast" or "slow" and enable the outputs from there. Once I did that I was able to view and record the data I wanted. Not sure if this is a glitch or just something expected from the users.
  • aolaol
    edited March 19
    @frydryce the gauge view shows only what you have configured there. There's an edit button for a while after touching the screen. This is by design. The "green button" shows you everything that is being recorded. It also shows status of your devices etc. Always go there if you need to check if something is being recorded etc.
  • my original issue was that when hitting the edit button and trying to add in a data channel the proper data channels were not showing up, only 5 of them even though I activated 10 in the vehicle profile. They only showed up after going into the “green” menu and activating them there. Seems as if the selections in vehicle profile do not matter. Hope this is clear.

  • aolaol
    edited March 19
    It shows empty until there's lock to satellites and it's connected and polling OBD-II. It's a bit bad UX ... So maybe just needed to wait a bit. I will test it anyways to check if there's a problem.
Sign In or Register to comment.