Suggestions for Windows Mobile Phones

Hello,

I track my car regularly and was looking at various options to get track data and came across RaceChrono. I have done some reading and bought the following
- Qstarz BT-Q818X (5Hz Bluetooth GPS Unit)
- ELM327 Scanner OBDII (Bluetooth OBDII unit)

I know that RaceChrono is supported on Nokia S60 and Windows Mobile platforms. I am interested to pick up an older Windows Mobile phone and I need some suggestions regarding this

- I needed a phone under $125 used
- Something that has enough processing power and does not slow down
- Decent user interface, alot of the Nokia's I have seen have horrendous UI.

Finally, does RaceChrono app display any stats on the phone while on track, such as Speed, G-Forces etc ?

Thanks

Comments

• Interesting that you find the UI on the Nokias bad. I find they're the best for phones. Of course, the Windows UI is great for use as a PDA. I've no idea what things cost for you over there, so can't make any recommendations.

I can, however, tell you that RaceChrono does give you live data on screen. It's explained in section 10 on page 14 in the PDF manual. You can view best/previous/current lap times, a track map or satellites, from memory.
  • Is there any possible way to have the gauge showing an OBD function (I m interested in RPM and/or water temperature).
    Thanks!
  • Sure. You can toggle the live timer gauge to any OBD channel (when recording these OBD channels).
  • Thanks! That's a great feature!
  • Anyone in USA ... what are some cheap phone options I have? I am trying to search for used phones on CraigsList to use with this app
  • Any of the HTC touch line works great and has larger screens. Plus with HTC QuickGPS they lock sats a lot faster.
  • Mekatoka,

Do you really need a phone? how about just a PDA? I use a dell X51V, they have a nice big VGA 3.5" screen and it works very well with Racechrono/qstarz. You can pick them up for 80-100USD on ebay and replacement batterys etc are very cheap.
  • I bought an ACER N311 for 50€ on ebay. Updated with wm6.1. Works perfectly
  • edited August 2010
    @mhoward1 I was told that although HTC HD works fine, HTC HD2 doesn't!!!

@mekatoka My advice is to stay away from LG-KS20 and every phone that has a widcomm/broadcom bluetooth because there are some annoying problems in the connection with the 5 and 10hz qstarz receivers! Check my youtube channel for the fix!
  • Thanks for the replies. I want to keep the price lower but want to have a big screen for the RaceChrono numbers while in the car. @Adamw - Nice suggestions, I like that. I'll look for those. I'll post what I get
  • I bought a Dell Axim x51V with WM 5.0 for $114 on Ebay. Looking at the support, it looks like RC supports WM 5.0, so I am going to first try it with WM 5.0 and then go for the upgrade.