RaceChrono 2.0 for Android Feedback

13»

Comments

• Hi Antti, will you eventually add a GPS speed indicator, Altitude indicator and NMEA recording in your next version ??. These features were great in V1.45.
  • Magnussen: Yes, I will add them.
  • edited May 2012
    I have RC2 preview4d running on my viewsonic Gtab with beastly/clemsyn OC froyo ROM, with a Wintec G-rays1 BT GPS.

Because this tablet do not have internal GPS, I would typically require BlueGPS to make any external GPS work on mapping programs like google maps. RCpreview4 does not recognize BlueGPS (with the G-rays1) as an internal GPS, but instead it connects perfectly to the G-rays as an external GPS!

With BlueGPS, I have not found any GPS programs to display satellite view, even though it logs the GSV sentences. With RCpreview4, the satellite view works perfectly!

Anyways with RCpreview4, I think the session resume is activated, and I really looked forward to it, as it was not activated in RCpreview3.
    During each session, when it crosses a split line, it pause for a few seconds. I think its a place holder for the split time display, which I'm familiar with on the WinMo RC version.

In all, this is working very well so far. I've not see any FC issues yet on my street testing, driving to and from work.
  • edited May 2012
    I tried it out Preview 4 for the first time this weekend (normally I take my old S60 phone to the track just for timing), on my HTC Desire HD.

Connected to my external GPS without problems, however it did not auto-detect the track I was at, although the track is an existing "official" track and it was downloaded on my phone (data connection was also enabled). The track was Zwartkops Raceway in South Africa. I ended up just manually selecting the track, which isn't the end of the world really.

Other than that, all timing and recording worked perfectly, at 5Hz.

Small reproducible bug:
    - Start session
    - Cancel recording
    - Press "Sessions"
    - Select the latest session
    - Under "Route", press "tap to analyse"
    - Application crashes.

Only things I really miss so far are data export (I like making videos :)), and OBDII input (I like making videos with lots of data :)).
  • AdiAdi
    edited May 2012
    Finally I could test Preview 4 several times this week on the Nordschleife. My first impression: Just great! Thanks a lot Antti for all your work you do here for us.
    I was running the preview on a HTC ONE X with ICS 4.0.3, using my external 5 Hz Qstarz BT?Q890, which I like due to its minimalistic size, but perfect functionality.
    The available functions of racechrono all worked properly. I used racechrono as I did on my old N97: set it and forget it. Racechrono was running on my phone, and when ever I went out there, it was recording the BTG laps. In the evening I stopped it and had all laps in one file.

As it seems, the problem of being aside the track in the graphics view is bigger (?) than with the Symbian version. I don't know why this is. Probably due to bad satelite connectivity in certain areas there? Or is 5 Hz of the Qstarz sometimes too slow when it comes to fast changes in direction? I don't know. I also don't know if this has an influence on the overall time measured. May be someone has similar experience and more information on that.

The google maps view is very nice. However, since the tracks are all outside my home-country I use it only when a WLAN is available. Otherwise the roaming cost get out of control. Please consider data transfer cost when it comes to features which need that. I have always data-roaming off outside the country, since I once got an invoice for more than € 500.-- a month...

I look very much forward to the beta release! Thanks again for your work, Antti.
  • edited May 2012
    Shrimp: Thanks for the detailed bug report, it was easily reproducible and fixed! The export is coming soon, but the OBD-II will not be in next release.

Adi: I'm planning to do a optional "no map" mode that displays only the route. Unfortunately it's quite big work, as I need to do the map projection myself. Meanwhile disable the roaming data when using RaceChrono.
  • edited June 2012
    I tested in on a real trackday now instead of normal drive to work. Really love the app. Was a new track as an newly available airfield so had to setup split marks but did this after the event.

I would like to comment that I would like to see the Opt theoretical lap viewable as a complete lap as at the moment sectors need to be selected singly. I do understand that the line may jump to another section of track but thats fine.

Another point is I did three session without resuming, so user error but would be good if you could merge sessions. As this would mean analysis could compare for different days at the same track.

I also had a friend come round with a tablet, the viewing experience is much nicer on a large screen. I transferred my files across by zipping up the /racechrono directory then extracting to the tablet. Is their plans to release a viewer for PC as data login is great on phone but analysis is so much better with a larger screen. The screen real estate should also IMHO be configurable to pick 75% /25% split or any % split you want when analysing graph and map.

Summary
    ========
    1. Theoretical "Opt" graph viewable as continuous view.
    2. Merge Multiple Sessions for comparison on multiple days.
    3. Screen split (graph/map) configurable with % variable
    4. PC / Web Viewer for at home/pit Analysis

Thanks so much for the great app, I am sure you already have these ideas but maybe this will confirm them...

Jason
  • jasonp1980: Very good suggestions! All are planned to do at some point. The 4. seems distant future but let's see. You can currently merge sessions manually, just copy the subsequent sessions under the first one in folders "resume_1", "resume_2" etc. The subsequent session then will appear as resumes in that order.
  • Thanks for the Resume tip works a treat, one other thing is their any way to change units from kmh to mph?
  • jasonp1980: Just get the new version from Play Store, it has mph/kph switch.
  • edited June 2012
    Is it provided in the future to implement video recording with integrated overlay like alaprecorder.So that i must not use pc and external software.
    Saw something like this in the wishlist but don t know if it meens the same .
  • hanselfransel: I plan to do at least a overlay generator for gauges, but I have to think about doing video recording (like alaprecorder). Not sure if it's very useful, as cameras like Go Pro HD is so much better suited for the job...
  • I personally would prefer to overlay on an external recorder ie my Go Pro.
  • Will this work on ZTE Blade (with custom rom) in the future? I'm trying to find the cheapest alternative. :) Kiitos!
  • edited June 2012
    aol, I thought the same about GoPro and other action cams.
    But now I have new phone(HTC One S) and it makes video that is more than enough for me. I do have an old action camera, but it makes video much worse =)
    That's how it looks like for One S: http://youtu.be/iuK1ZGokjRE

Yes, I'm sure that proper cam makes a picture little bit better. But you have to not forget to install it, charge it, and turn it on. The last thing is that you usually do not even see it when you're in the bucket with helmet on and harnesses tightened.

I've used the app that is really a full crap but it does it's job: records gps data(and exports in csv) and records video in background. It really helped me to find where the difference between my two runs is when I compared two videos with speedometer overlay and could see top speeds, braking poins and so on.

I really love Racechrono app and almost hate all other similar apps that could be found on market. These apps are very hard to use, very slow and buggy. I can't even measure the lap time with these apps.
    But overlayed video feature is must-have for me. So I'm looking forward to have this ability with Racechrono soon :)
  • Hello Aol,

In the current release (preview4), is there any way to switch data shown in "laps view" from default (sector time difference from best in the session) to other data like max/min speed. Was possible in symbian release pressing "#" key if I rembember well ...

Thks,

Daniele.
  • edited June 2012
    Daniele: Not yet, but it's on my to-do list. There just was not enough time to do everything at once that was in Symbian version (which was 3 year project after all). So you can expect these missing features in coming versions.
  • Tested this version today, very accurate!

Dorian time 1:32.8776, Racechrono time 1:32.88 :)

Very impressed with the accuracy (External GPS used)