iPhone 3G Port ?

Hi AOL, is there any chance you would be able to port RaceChrono to work on a iPhone 3G ?

Comments

• edited July 2008
    Unfortunately iPhone does not have proper Bluetooth stack. This means iPhone RaceChrono could be used only with the internal GPS provided by Apple... So if an iPhone RaceChrono user would be disappointed on the GPS quality, there would be nothing to move forwards to. ;(

I will follow how the iPhone Bluetooth situation progresses, since it's definitely an interesting platform. It might be that some point Apple releases a firmware with proper Bluetooth stack that would enable external GPS support, but it might be a commercial decision as well (licensing fees for the "apple connector" peripheral).
  • I would be interested in this port too. I'll follow this forum and see what happens.
  • And actually the iPhone has those accelerometer sensors that would give some nice data too.
  • I have seen the ad for the program which uses accelerometer in the iPhone. I think it is more like some product with G force meter doing the same purpose.

I wonder how good the GPS is. As aol said, there is prob no Blue Tooth stack and internal may be limited?
  • The internal GPS usually aren't nearly as good as the external ones. Probably something to do with the interference from the GSM antenna. Also iPhone has only HF-profile in the Bluetooth stack, so no support for external GPS's.
  • i´m very interested in iphone 3g port!!

the internal gps of iphone 3g, is good enough!! it locate me perfectly in google maps and the developers talk very good about the position location.

please if you can port it, i will pay in app store for it... cause is the perfect app for my trackdays.
  • " please if you can port it, i will pay in app store for it... "
    +1 for that. very keen to see this available on the iPhone.

Great software mate!!
  • looks like with the new OS 3.0 update this might work. This would be HUGE for the USA racechrono users.

Looks like it will work sooner or later: http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/01/iphone-hacked-to-work-with-standard-bluetooth-keyboard.ars
  • Let's hope the OS 3.0 will have open Bluetooth! There is still very little information on that so I cannot say anything is sure yet.
  • Any news on this now after the OS 3.0 and iPhone 3GS release?
  • edited June 2009
    Still waiting for confirmation, but it _seems_ that with the public SDK, I would be able to connect only those Bluetooth devices that are Apple approved (= royalties). I will continue the thread as soon as I know.
  • Ok I just found a neat little gadget:
    http://www.orangegadgets.com/products.html

http://iphone-gps.blogspot.com/

I emailed the guy and he said that its 5Hz.
    Maybe something can be worked out? Of course we would need to make an extension cable/external antennae as to not have to have the iphone hanging out on the back of the bike/roof of a car.
  • Any progress on supporting the iphone?
    You have a great application but seem to be missing a big user base here.
  • edited September 2009
    Hi, no progress. iPhone still does not support external Bluetooth GPS, so I feel this platform does not allow me to do the software well enough. The internal GPS is barely enough for random use, but for serious use, no. Let's hope this changes.
  • Take a look to this application for iphone : roqyGPS
    You can download a demo here : http://www.roqy-bluetooth.net/packages/roqyBT-demo6.zip
    here is a movie...
  • There is a lot of Bluetooth solutions for Jailbreak. Unfortunately none that could be used in applications distributed through App Store.
  • So it must be BT, why not wired?

If its possible to tomtom get external gps working, why its impossible to racechrono?
    http://store.apple.com/fi/product/TX529ZM/A?mco=MTA0MzE1ODg
  • Hi AOL,

At the moment I use an old Nokia ( something I don't mind being knocked around on the bike ) with a BT GPS unit when I'm at the track and then transfer the files over to my Touch HD ( maybe upgrading to the iPhone soon ) so I can analyze it when I feel.

I know it's probably not worth developing a iPhone version just for the reason of transferring files too but it would cool.

Also I saw that another app is in the iTunes store that reports to be a GPS lap timer but does state that the GPS on the iPhone is not 100% accurate all the time.
  • edited September 2009
    Yeah, there's some lap timers for iPhone out there, but must be quite frustrating in serious use...
  • As I understand it, the issue with the iPhone is that Apple don't let you connect it to anything via Bluetooth. The internal GPS isn't good enough for RaceChrono. There are a few WiFi GPS dongles around but no 5Hz ones I've seen. The only way I can think of to connect a reasonable GPS is if there's a 5Hz GPS dongle with a serial port. If that's the case, you could use a WiFi to RS232 converter. It's hardly plug'n'play though.[P]

If you're willing to go to those lengths, there's always the option of a WiFi module connected to a 10Hz GPS module. You'll get a few analogue inputs too for that. It hardly fits in with the iPhone ease of use though!
  • edited November 2009
    I'm sorry to say, iPhone is out of question at least as long as the Bluetooth GPS are not officially supported. The WiFi hardware is too expensive and marginal use stuff. I have so many other cool platforms to support, that allow Bluetooth and I'll concentrate on those. First new platfrom will be Maemo. I'm sure I will support the Samsung's new "Bada" phones as well in 2011. Android porting has some other issues, but hopefully it will be possible soon without re-writing everything in Java.
  • aol,

Have you seen what these guys are up to? http://news.motionx.com/category/motionx-gps/

How are they getting things to work?
  • I guess they use the internal GPS on that one.
  • I think the internal gps on an iphone is only 1hz which is kind of useless for track analysis. Check out Revv...they had promise but have gone more of the obd2 direction imho.

being a hard core iphone/apple user I too wanted to find something on the iphone...there are a few cool things but so far nothing coming even close to RC. Just buy a used nokia without service and run RC.
  • with this program:
    http://i38.tinypic.com/5u0lud.jpg
    Roqy Bluetooth

you can use an external bluetooth GPS... ;)

i hope to see Racechrono on my iphone as soon as possible :P
  • edited December 2009
    ConteDj, that application is nice, but needs jailbroken iPhone. :) I'm sure Apple is forced to allow Bluetooth GPS and other devices officially at some point.
  • mmmh... you can create the app... using internal GPS... then if someone (like me) has a jailbroken iphone can use an external GPS...

when apple unblock the bluetooth everybody can use an external gps :D

(so jailbroke is an easy thing to do....)
  • "The Tomotom Car Kit" for the iPhone has an external GPS built into it. Would this be the answer to the problem?

"Harry's Lap Timer" app for iPhone recommends using this tomtom car kit for better accuracy. It's a little on the expensive side but it's a viable solution to iPhones owners that don't want to jailbreak their phone.

So... apparently apple did allow some sort of exernal GPS suppurt, maybe not via Bluetooth but if the tomtom kit can do it, maybe it's the big break the developer was waiting for.