RaceDAC Reconnect Feature

I usually start my session before I leave my pit area (then put on my gloves). Next, I usually grid up in hot pit and shut the main power off (so that my lightweight Li battery does not drain sitting in the grid), so the bike does not sit and idle too long. Then when I switch the main power back on, the RC does not reconnect to the RaceDAC. Would it be possible to have RC try to re connect if it looses the RC data stream? Otherwise I get a full session with no RaceDAC data?

Maybe this is addressed in the new pay feature, as I have not updated the software on my old data logger phone (that is basically a wifi tablet now) just yet? Another question is do I have to buy the add-on pack for each device? or just once for my google play account?

Comments

• edited July 2014
    Problem with RaceDAC is that if RaceChrono connects to it too early (while it's booting), it does not output any data. This caused a problem, as RaceChrono was happy with the bluetooth connection that didn't output any data.

Since RaceChrono v3.10, it disconnects and reconnects any device that does not output any data for 15 seconds, so there should be a reconnect after a while. Let me know if this doesn't work on the latest version, so I can investigate this further.

As is standard in Android applications, the purchased item will work on all of your devices with same Google Play account. Also the Pro version will work similarly.
  • I tried this at the track this weekend. It did not seem to reconnect once the power to the RaceDAC is switched off then back on again. I can take a video of what I am describing. Also, do you think it could be a function of the old DroidX receiving an older version of the app (the pro version is not available for it so I only bought the RaceDAC upgrade pack)?

Do you think that it is an issue with the time stamp form the RaceDAC starting over again? and RaceChrono is looking for the next value of the time stamp and not seeing it or something like that?

PS, the single upgrade purchase worked on both phones! Thanks!

• edited August 2014
    I think this is RaceDAC firmware issue that I describe in previous post. It seems to go to invalid state when connecting to it too early, after powering it on. Apparently then RaceChrono reconnecting to it does not help, as it still remains in that invalid state.

If your DroidX has a version that has the Upgrade screen, then it should be the latest. The Pro and Free versions are updated in tandem. Phones with Android 2.2 will receive an older version (v2.46).
  • Ok, here is an idea....I can test this with my laptop I think... What if you send it the begin logging command, because if you connect to it and it is not responding, you can send it the string "DAC" and it will begin logging, because it waiting for a command. I can see if this works from the command line.

I will test this this coming weekend.
  • edited September 2014
    Ok, so I FINALLY had a chance to test this ( I know it has been a while). When I simultaneous turn on my RaceDAC, and initiate a connection with the COM-port that I have my RaceDAC set up to use on my laptop, I get the following Strings from the RaceDAC:
    "AT
    ATS0
    ATL5
    AT
    AT"
    With no further output, for many minutes (I waited 3-5 min). This is consistent with the RaceChrono behavior of connecting to the RaceDAC and then not receiving any data from it, when it connects too quickly.

If I then type "DAC" with an enter key that follows it (a line feed or what ever putty inserts to send a command) at any point after I get those strings, it sets off logging data with the typical RC formatting.

Is there a way that you could test for these conditions and send the "DAC(whatever the proper EoL character should be)" to set it off data logging? I have many a track session fail to collect data be cause I killed the main power (to turn off radiator fans and what not so that it does not kill my battery while sitting in hot pit out)....

Let me know if you need anything from me. I am happy to test any thing else out to help move this along.

As always THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK!

TAD
  • I'll ask RaceDAC team their opinion first
  • Hi "TAD158"
    Could you check the firmware version?
    Go to CMD mode and type ID and hit enter.
  • RaceDAC cmd mode
    >ID
    Firmware id #M = 1.0m build 091013
  • Bump?....Any thoughts?
  • I recommend contacting RaceDAC support directly, or at least ping them via email. Not sure how often they follow this forum.
  • Hi "TAD158", thanks for the heads up -mail!
    Firmware update is available, and info sent via mail to you.

• Thanks RaceDAC!

aol, I will let you know if updating the firmware works.

Thanks to both of you for the hard work!
  • I am SUPER happy to report that my issue has been solved by updating the firmware!

I would really like to thank RaceDAC for helping out with getting the update sorted out on my device.

Thanks to both of you for all your great work!!!