RaceChrono Free and Pro v3.31 thread: Free discussion

Time for new free discussion thread. Post your free form discussion and feedback here.

Comments

• How should I save session data together with video for later analysis? space on the phone is quite limited, each of my sessions has 500-700 mb of video, so I would like to save it somewhere for the case if I will need raw data someday.
  • edited July 2014
    The session data always contains the video metadata. So it's enough to backup the .rcz share file (or the session_* folders), plus the video files.

When restoring, place your video backed up files to /DCIM/RaceChrono/ on internal storage, or /Android/data/com.racechrono.pro/files/Movies/RaceChrono/ on your SD card. Then just open the .rcz share file (or copy the session_* folders to /RaceChrono/ ).

The metadata contains just the video filename without path, so you can place the video to SD card that was originally in internal storage for example.
  • The g-force plot does not seem to be smooth. The device has a good lock signal with 20 satellites, but the g-force plot reports 0.9 - 1 - 1.1 between 0.1 seconds. I am not exactly sure what is happening but it seems that it cannot vary that much that quickly. Also it seems there are no fractions between 0.9 and 1. Unless I am missing something when I read the data in the analysis part.

On the same topic, it would be nice to have a g-force plot on the output video. Either with the build-in g-force computation or using the phone accelerometer data.
  • Maybe it's my q-818xt, but I see that GPS Speed data in overlay is late by 0.3-0.5 seconds. I clearly saw it while compares GPS and RaceDAC speed and acceleration data. If this "gps lag" is about the same on most systems you can offset gps derived data to sync it with video perfectly
  • Just released v3.31, please give me your feedback :)
  • The accelerometer y channel is no longer usable. The data needs to be smoothed or averaged.
  • edited November 2014
    I agree that some of the data needs smoothing, but I wonder if something has gone broken in latest update? Can you check if the update rate of the accelerometer device has changed? I did change some parameters... Just enable the "device update rate" channel for the accelerometer device in the graph, and compare good data against bad data.

Also tell me the brand and model of the phone you're using.
  • I have an LG G3 and the Pro version. My data from 11/2, before the upgrade, shows the accelerometer update rate at 5.0 Hz. My data from 11/15, after the upgrade, shows the accelerometer update rate at 49.4 Hz. I can't find anyway to change the update rate in Race Chrono or on the phone. The display of either the X or Y access went from a usable single line to an unusable squiggle with a wide swath. Did a decimal place get missed in the new version?
  • edited December 2014
    I changed the Accelerometer parameters, so that has caused the increased update rate. Seems as you're getting so much vibration (noise) on the device that the 50 Hz data is no longer readable without filtering. After filtering it should be exactly as before. Unfortunately this is not feature in RC currently. I will look in to this during winter months.

The old versions did get 50-150 Hz update rate like it was supposed to on most devices, but I noticed it was getting only 5 Hz on LG and Nexus devices. So I actually fixed a bug, but it revealed the need for filtering/averaging on your device.
  • I am using rc pro 3.34 beta1. After exported mp4 file, I copied it to my pc and found the file played without speed meter(gps information), why? I had to use racerender for help but maybe rc should do that...
    The video analysis/setting feature is so limited and need more, at least on pro version.
  • edited December 2014
    Are you sure you didn't look at the "raw" video without any overlay? It doesn't have any overlay. The raw videos are located at /DCIM/RaceChrono/ and the exported videos with overlays are located at /Android/data/com.racechrono.pro/files/exports/ . Also the raw videos are named RC_date_time.mp4, while the exported videos are named session_title_and_metadata.mp4
  • I find the rendered video in /Android/data/com.racechrono.pro/files/exports/ folder. Thanks~
  • ciao All,

i hope not to be n a wrong section.
    using PRO version on a LG Gpad tablet with ext ant Garmin glonass 10hz and OBD-II

just testing wonderful video function, in order to do practice
    i ask in which way i can edit or add or move overlay information on video.
    i'm not able to find the proper function in the software.
    does exist an help file ??

thx
    ivo - italy
  • edited January 2015
    The current overlay is static without any configuration options. I'm currently writing the functionality to configure it. Please tell me what you would like to be able to edit/move, so I'll do my best to make sure it satisfies your needs as well as others who have requested this. This will be part of v4.00 which I hopefully release before winter ends.
  • thx for reply.

i think from GPS:
    - map
    - trap
    - split (name, current time, best, delta)
    - total time (current time, best, delta)
    - speed
    - gps info (precision, sat, frequency)
    - G force in case

from OBD
    - the info you have choosen, mainly RPM and something more

I think that all people had already told everything,
    so my one are surely duplicated.

could be interesting to be able to decide:
    - analog or digital
    - position
    - dimension
    - transparency and colour
    and be able to save on presets
    I imagine that the target is the apple-most-used-app....
  • edited January 2015
    My target is much higher than the apple-most-used-app. No point just matching someone else's work. That said, I don't think it's worth doing everything the other apps do, but rather doing the things I think are important very well.

That said I think I will have 90% of your wish list covered. It will not have 100% customisation, such as moving gauges to arbitrary positions or changing colors and such. But it will have ability to pick the gauges, move them to general locations, and choose between analog and digital.

You've possibly noticed that the app already has overlay for some of the stuff you listed; lap timer times, speed, RPM and map.