gopro 8 on Android 10

I've used gopro 4 for years with RaceChrono but gopro 8 is a real challenge. There seems to be a fight between the gopro app and racechrono for using the camera, and per instructions, the camera has to be connected through the app. Now that I got it to work on some track sessions I can't seem to be able to connect to download the video to the phone. UGH. Even if I get this to work, I have to give up either the bluetooth GPS receiver or the OBD bluetooth receiver because now my camera needs bluetooth as well. Is it all possible in the future to make it wifi only? It's kind of a deal killer and makes me want to sell the 8 and get the 7 instead.

Let's use this thread to come up with some tips from users for gopro 8. I'll post as soon as I find some workarounds.

Comments

• No no, there's misunderstandings here!

1) The GoPro needs to be connected through the GoPro app for the _first_ time, to merely pair the camera with the phone. After that the GoPro app needs to be closed, and cannot run simultaneously with RaceChrono!

2) All three bluetooth devices can connect at the same time, GPS, OBD-II and GoPro.
  • I definitely misunderstood the instructions. I was connecting the gopro app the entire time. That's going to fix a lot of the issues I've been having.

I thought Android can only connect to who BT devices at a time. I know it can remember many more pairings. Ok, will try all three at the same time.

I was also able to transfer the video from the gopro to the app eventually. I had to connect two times in a row to the camera. This was also likely a problem because my go pro app was running.
  • In early days of Bluetooth there was 7 simultaneous device connections maximum. I think it's more nowadays.
  • Ich hatte das gleiche Problem. Race Chrono meldete ständig, dass die GoPro neu gesucht wird. Habe dann aufgegeben und die GoPro immer manuell am Beginn eines Stints gestartet. Leider findet Race Chrono jetzt keine Synchronisierungsdaten. Ich kann kein Bild im Bild Overlay mehr machen. Oder ich stelle mich nur zu blöd an.
  • I want to be sure before i buy GoPro 8. I can use gopro as camera and external gps by connecting it to the racechrono?
  • You cannot use the GoPro's GPS for "live" data, but you can import the data afterwards: https://racechrono.com/article/2753
  • Still having lots of connection issues. Last weekend GoPro 8 didn't record my fastest lap of the day. I connected the camera but when I pressed on it to record it did nothing and I had to start driving. In another session I had it connected and started recording but then lost connection right when I got in the grid. Success rate for the weekend was 4/6 sessions, and that's conditional on having the camera connected properly.

Nothing against RaceChrono here, it is all about the stupid GoPro app. I mean, even if you try to control the camera in the GoPro software it fails to connected half the time. It's GoGarbage software and now they are forcing us to use it. This is the last GoPro I'll ever buy.
  • edited July 2020
    @cvjoint Losing connection shouldn't mean you lose your recordings. You can still sync the recorded video files to your session. Of course if it does not let you start recording, that's another issue.

What I do myself when I want absolute reliability, and recommend for my users who complain about reliability of the feature, is to not use it at all! Just start/stop recording manually, and never connect the camera with either RaceChrono or the GoPro's own app. This way GoPro's actually work pretty well. No complaints from me, as long as the Wi-Fi is not used :smiley:

After manually recording, just copy over the recorded files using a memory card reader (use the RaceChrono's import feature). Then synchronise the video files to your session. There's even "automatic" sync feature for GoPro/Garmin files, which works pretty good most of the time. And you can always do it manually, if automatic sync point is no good. Read more: https://racechrono.com/article/480

Some users really like the Wi-Fi connectivity feature so it cannot be removed, but I accept it's not very reliable, and it's so much work to maintain that it's really not worth it in hindsight. I like the syncing afterwards much better.
  • Ich habe mir vom Support nochmal erklären lassen, wie ich meine manuellen GoPro Aufnahmen als Bild in Bild Overlay synchronisieren kann. Hat geklappt. Ich bin begeistert und werde auch nächstes Mal die GoPro Aufnahmen wieder manuell einschalten.