>>>a few questions>>>

edited February 2017 in RaceChrono for Android
First…is there a detailed manual for the latest Android version? I can only seem to find the symbian manual.

GO PRO
I do not use a gopro but I believe rc will auto start it.

1. When you stop the session does rc stop the gopro also?

2. Does rc leave a placeholder in the session files so if you copy the mp4 in to the correct spot is it synced or do you have to manually sync it?

DEVICE
When you add a bluetooth device does the choice of channels in Fast/Slow change with the device used? Example if you use a $100 Obdlink MX vs a $20 blue china?

Does it change with the vehicle used?

Is there any way to add channels not on list?

Would a RaceDac be able to provide more channels than an Obdlink MX? Specifically from the obd. I know you can apparently add analog .5v sensors to racedac and get them in to rc...pretty cool!

EXPERT SETTINGS
I have a gen3 moto-g which apparently has pretty good internal sensors. I enabled Record internal sensors. Based on my experience with AIM, I believe if a device has good accelerometers they would give better results especially for lat/lon g values than GPS and if so doesn’t the phone orientation need to be flat/centered or is there some way of calibrating the phone accelerometers for accuracy in the position mounted? Mine is using suction mount and recording video just below the rear view mirror. I also believe Speed for GPS is often better than from OBD for data analysis purposes.

Save device output??? What would this be useful for?

Default protocol???…I left on Auto. Would changing this possibly yield any additional OBD channels?

Slow requests???…What would this be useful for? Would changing this possibly yield any additional OBD channels?

Ignore PID capabilities??? What would this be useful for? Would changing this possibly yield any additional OBD channels?

AUDIO
Is there a way to feed bluetooth audio in to the internal video recording?

EXPORT SESSION
If you export a session and change the update rate up from 10 to 100hz…is this just “simulating” a higher rate?

ANALYSIS SETTINGS
Comparison X-axis scaling? I can’t seem to see this making any changes? What am I missing?

Magnetometer channels? I do not believe this is useful for me???

GPS receive channels…what are the asterisks? Does this mean a calculated value? Is so why use Device update rate?

Accelerometer channels?…should I use these? Why use Device update rate?

thanks for any info

Comments

• edited March 2016
    No manual. There will be a quick guide and knowledge base at some point. For the time being just ask.

GOPRO
    - When session is started, the video recording needs to be started separately from the video recording page, but it's stopped when session is stopped. 1:1 similar to internal camera usage (although you need to setup WiFi connection and copy the files afterwards).
    - Placeholder "files" are created

DEVICE
    - OBD-II settings are global, so same configuration is used for every vehicle/reader.
    - RaceDAC can provide the set of analog and digital channels, but they need to be wired and installed separately

EXPERT SETTINGS
    - Yes, you need to point the phone to so that one of the X/Y/Z axis on phones accelerometer will be lateral and one longitudinal acceleration, as there's no rotation for the acceleration vector at the moment. Also important to make sure the phone does not move at all if you want useful accelerometer data.
    - The other expert settings are mostly for debugging problems and workarounds for compatibility problems. Leave them to default settings if not having any problems.

AUDIO
    - On the video camera configuration box, is the microphone icon to record external mic instead of internal. Depending on the device used the result will vary, but on some phones it will record using a wired HF microphone. Haven't tried BT microphones.

EXPORT SESSION
    - The fixed rate is there mostly to maintain compatibility with CircuitTools software, each plot will be interpolated, so it will not be "real" 100 Hz, unless your devices are actually recording 100 Hz.

ANALYSIS SETTINGS
    - Comparison scaling is the scaling method (of x-axis) used when comparing to another lap. Always use "Position" here for sensible comparison between laps, then your comparison lap is scaled according the actual position. Distance and Time scaling is "stupid" scaling, and the comparison position might not match the lap position. When using Position scaling, you can go to pits, and the comparison still matches the primary lap braking points etc.
    - Magnetometer probably not useful unless doing some calculations
    - Channels with asterisks are calculated channels based on other channels.
    - Device update rate is more for debugging, to see if there's some problem with recording the data.
  • you wrote:

GOPRO
    - When session is started, the video recording needs to be started separately from the video recording page, but it's stopped when session is stopped. 1:1 similar to internal camera usage (although you need to setup WiFi connection and copy the files afterwards).
    - Placeholder "files" are created

Does this mean if I copy the file from the gopro to the phone and put it in the correct spot is is automatically synced to the data based on a start or end sync point and I do NOT have to manually sync it?

you wrote:
    EXPERT SETTINGS
    - Yes, you need to point the phone to so that one of the X/Y/Z axis on phones accelerometer will be lateral and one longitudinal acceleration, as there's no rotation for the acceleration vector at the moment. Also important to make sure the phone does not move at all if you want useful accelerometer data.

If the phone is in landscape for video and just under the rearview mirror then how would you calibrate???…or set up in rc??? in your opinion is this worth it? Is the data better for an actual accelerometer in this case moto-g than “calculating” from gps?…or not worth it?

Does y become lat and z become lon?

I do not expect the world from your app I just want to push it to the edge if possible? I am in to the data analysis much more than just the video.

Thanks,
  • edited March 2016
    GOPRO:
    - Yes I mean exactly that :) Although syncing is not 100% exact, so there might be slight adjustments required, like 100-200 milliseconds for instance.

EXPERT SETTINGS:
    - There's no calibration, you'll need to align the phone so that one of the recorded X/Y/Z axis is lateral and one is longitudinal acceleration. This picture says it all http://i.stack.imgur.com/eyibk.jpg . I've done lot of work towards better sensor support/calibration/rotation, but not quite ready.
  • sorry...one last clarification and I will not bother you for a while...if I use that image and try to get the accelerometers aligned properly then do you also agree that is is likely better data than calculated from gps...ie is it worth the hassle? Can't I record both accelerometers and gps together?
  • It's worth a try. Even if it's not properly aligned, but the phone stays at same position for whole duration of session, and doesn't move about, the data might be usable later when I get some improvements done.