Work on 'Android' without Google Play ie Amazon Kindle Platform

Hi Antti,

I would very much like to use your app on my Amazon Fire Phone. I am a fully paid Pro user on Google Play and am part of Beta group. I thought I would first try to sideload the APK to the Fire as most apps work. However it has a dependency on Google Play Services (on Free Version of RaceChrono). I assume you could remove the dependency if the Maps overlay was removed and just used a black background?

Would this be a a big job and would you be willing to complete? I would like to use the Fire while on track as I always have it, then I will transfer files to my N7 tablet for analysis (I knot how to do this already).

Ideally you would want to be on Amazon Market place or simply have an APK to download on the website for us with a bastardized version of Android. In terms of Licence key for paid version, I know some apps have a app that you install that contains some key so dependency on marketplace could again be removed after initially loading.

Thanks
-Jason!

Comments

• edited December 2014
    Hello,

Problem is the app currently requires the old Maps API v1, which is part of the Google Android platform, and it probably won't install. The fact that Play Services is missing, will not prevent installing. If you manage to install the Maps API v1 libraries, then the app will start, and you can just cancel the "Play Services required" popup by pressing back button. I will be eventually dropping the Maps API v1 requirement, so you'll be able to install the Free version to devices without Google branding. Although the in-app purchases and google login will not work.

The Pro version and Amazon Store is a different story unfortunately. Problem is there's not enough people with Kindle Fire phones to justify the quite big development task to create secure licensing model etc. I just don't think it would sell enough. RC is very niche app that needs platform with huge user base to be profitable. Also as a commercial app, it should have maps working and the Google login would need to be replaced with something similar.

I just wish Amazon would pay Google...

-Antti
  • Hey Antti,

Thanks for the update, can now select no map overlay on my Fire Phone :)

I use the Nexus 7 for recording still as have the Pro version of the App but like that I have this flexibility. Will try it on my Fire TV too later!
  • Great to hear the map selection option in expert settings works for this purpose too!