Feedback on v4.0.7

I'm back with another list of feedback, this time from v4.0.7. As always, take it for whatever it's worth, though of course my opinions are always right. :-) Thanks again for the good improvements. You're taking RC up another level for all of us and I'm looking forward to the continued enhancements.

1. Reference lap / cross session comparison works. Nice that it restricts comparison choices to sessions at the same track and also that the comparison is saved. Maybe add info on the session you’re comparing against? It would probably have to be another item in the R1 lap menu. This would be especially useful to confirm what R1/R2, etc. mean when reviewing later.
2. Quick testing of new camera settings appears to work fine. Tested front camera and auto exposure (also both in combination). Did not test external microphone.
3. Live > Video: [similar to report by nc45 in another post] Rotating to 180 degrees works fine. Rotating back to normal 0 degree / upright view raises the message “Video recording is available only in landscape mode.” But then clicking the green Rotate button successfully returns to upright view. This is on a Galaxy S4 (Android 4.4.2).
4. Create new track: Suggest selecting the default text and setting the keyboard for initial capital. This would provide immediate editing of the track name rather than first tapping at the end and backspacing.
5. Tracks: Suggest to show number of sessions associated with each track. I sometimes need to clear out mistakenly created tracks - this would help ensure that the user does not delete a track that is “in use”.
6. VBO export:
a. Embedding the track info works (what a time saver this will be!). CT adds a special character between the coordinates and the split name (¬). Omitting it doesn't seem to change anything, though.
b. The recorded channels also all come through correctly, including accelerometer, gyroscope, and magnetic field.
c. CT also adds “laps ” and “fastest ” in [session data]. Not high priority, but maybe worth adding for completeness.
7. It would be helpful to add new Session properties for driver and vehicle. Not only for export to VBO, but more importantly within RC Pro for display on video overlay and in the Session list to identify different drivers’ sessions during a track day.
8. Creating trap: Suggest selecting the text of the default trap name, raising the keyboard, and setting initial capital. This allows the user to immediately start typing the name.
9. Session view: sectors are named by the trap where they end rather than start. This seems backwards to me - if I want to mark a sector for analysis, I set a trap at the beginning of that section/corner. Or is this a standard way to label sectors?
10. When editing an overlay, changing orientation (portrait/landscape) loses all edits.
11. Allow customization of overlay names rather than Overlay 1/2/3?
12. Session Analysis > Settings: Pop-up selection pickers do not tick the currently selected item. Occurs when examining a specific sector. I thought I originally saw it when the entire route was open, but could not repro.
13. Session Analysis > video overlay overflow menu: Needs marker to show which overlay is currently selected.
14. Overlay > Add new gauge: Suggest expanding the new gauge’s properties when it’s created.
15. Overlay: Suggest renaming “Device” to “Source” and adding an item for Text. “Channel” items could include sector, driver name, vehicle name, session description, other choices? Alternatively, have a few specific preset combinations of those items.

Comments

• edited March 2015
    1. Something to consider. I see the need, but not sure how it should be put there UI-wise.
    4,5,6c,7,8. Added improvements to my TODO-list
    9. Honestly I have no idea. It's a bit tricky as it's sector1 to sector2, but not that much space for the text.
    10. Added bug to my TODO-list
    11. Would be nice but probably will rather use my time on other stuff for now.
    12. This is a long lasting UI bug. When the items have never been selected, the tick does not show up. Possibly fixed when the settings screens get redone.
    13. I looked at this before, but Android only allows check box style here. Didn't seem appropriate.
    14. Added to my TODO-list
    15. That's a nice idea! Added to my TODO-list.
  • I'll try to mock up ideas on the various UI questions. Is there a way to embed images here in the forum or should I just send via email?

11 is fine as-is, and I don't honestly know how useful it would be to have custom names. I anticipate setting my preferred style as Overlay 1 and possibly modify one alternative view. BTW, are the overlay properties (or any other customizations) backed up into MyRaceChrono in case of device failure?

12. Understood. This is not a blocker on functionality, just a fit-and-finish item. Maybe it's not being successfully initialized on load/refresh of the page.
  • I also meant to ask: if the Bluetooth GPS is not found, is there a way to fall back to the internal GPS? Currently the setup page does not allow for more than one GPS input to be enabled. I wanted to have a backup in case the external GPS sleeps or loses connection. Currently, RaceChrono will wait endlessly for the external unit to connect and the session would be lost.
  • edited March 2015
    Currently no fallbacks or two GPS setup. I've been considering it but no big need for it apparently.
  • Count me in for the GPS fallback feature. It seems like a good safeguard to not lose a full session, though perhaps it's being paranoid.

I've sent you email on the UI items. Hope you find it useful.
  • edited May 2015
    When looking at the Speed vs Distance graph, a 'tap and hold' action toggles the Y axis scaling from a fixed scale to an auto-scaling version that uses the Vmax and Vmin over the range of Distance currently displayed on screen depending on the zoom level. This causes a jerk/hiccup when holding my finger over the screen for a few milliseconds before sliding it. I would prefer to just lock the Y axis at all times and don't need Y axis auto-scaling.

Is there a way to do this currently and I just don't know how? If not, can you implement?
  • shind3: yep this is something that needs fixing