RaceChrono v4.0-v4.3 thread: Free discussion

This discussion was created from comments split from: RaceChrono Free and Pro v3.31 thread: Free discussion.

Comments

• This thread is for v3.31, but I guess it's still good for most recent versions?

I have been using Racechrono for long. New (pro) version introduced many new features, which I have acquired through different programs earlier.

I am used to using VCDS for logging plenty of data from the car and using some of this data for videos, recorded on Veho Muvi HD, or old GoPro 3. The program I have used to combine 1 or 2 videofeeds, VCDS-data, and Racechrono-data is Racerender 2 deluxe edition. This has worked great for me. All it takes is some 15 minutes in the beginning to sync all the files together.

Now I would still prefer to keep my VCDS connected to car OBD, since it is able to log so much more data (like exhaust temp, which I don't use in the videos, but it's good to have for later analysis). And the refresh-rate is good on the wired connection. On my videos I have opted to use speed from VCDS, but G-forces, lap times and location from Racechrono (since Racerender allows to even have two different speedometers, one for RC and one for VCDS, if one would like...). Now please advice me, is RC Pro the right tool to keep using? I have not once recorded a video with RC, but I believe that could be done, I have Nexus 7 as my RC device while driving, but I also do have Sony Xperia Z3 compact, which does have significantly better camera than Nexus. But I like to have the larger screen from which to see the delta split times while driving. So I have still used my action cameras for video. Is it wise for me to keep doing it like this (Racerender + vcds + rc), or would you recommend using RC Pro video editing?

Data I record from VCDS, if anyone is interested (usually in the videos the first 4 are used):
    Speed
    RPM
    Gear
    Accelerator pedal position
    Exhaust temp
    Water temp
    Misfire count
    Boost pressure actual
    Lambda (not always)

Also in the videos from RC I use:
    gps position on map
    gps g-forces, if it works (QStarz 818XT at 5hz sometimes creates "jumping" g-forces on videos)
    lap time
    lap count

And then totally different thing. Please, PLEASE, bring back performance tests. I loved them on the Symbian version! Excellent to see if your performance mods were functional or not. And the function worked great. VCDS has performance testing too, but I liked RC more. RC might be less accurate in low speeds (and high acceleration), but then again VCDS doesn't account wheelspin, whereas gps is not affected by wheelspin. Maybe you'd even add a new performance test-option for lateral-grip testing?
  • Well, it depends... Probably only you can answer which software setup should you use for creating your videos. With RaceChrono the video creation is much more streamlined process, but with less customisation, and no input for extra data like VCDS. You can have multiple speedometers on RC Pro too, but you need to have the data logged by RC Pro. Not sure if I can answer "right tool" question properly.

Ah yes, performance tests. I've done something related to them again during this spring, but still no promises or estimates.
  • I tried using the new import video function in RC Pro. I transferred a video from my Veho Muvi HD in .mov format (size 1,6 GB), and started testing the overlay functions from RC data, but the video is upside down, since the camera was that way when recording. When choosing the video to link to session, there is an icon which opens a selection window which has options: Rotate video and Delete, but Rotate video is grayed out. Please advice how to rotate it 18+ degrees? Everything else seems to work, the video plays in RC and I am able to sync it, it is just upside down...
  • EDIT: 180 degrees, not 18+ degrees. :)
  • Sorry, my bad. It needed to be linked first. :)
    Now off to find how to proceed... 4 laps, 4 videos, but only 1 RC session...
  • Yep cannot rotate before it's linked. I know it's not optimal, but RC saves the rotated metadata to the session metadata, and if it's not linked, there's no metadata...
  • Thank you very much aol for pro version video linking!

One suggestion, or please do advice if it is already there...
    I have 4 videos, 1 RC session from Nordschleife. As you know tourist days have long pauses between laps. Now I can choose to export to overlaid video either whole session or laps. If I choose laps, I must always choose only one lap (because of 30min-90min between laps). I would like to have 1 lap, but also maybe 30 sec before and after the lap. Is it possible or would you be able to implement this feature easily?
  • Nothing is easy, but possibly doable when I have time, or otherwise touching the export form next time. One solution might be that when you select scope, it would say start and end time for the export. And then you could adjust the times... Not too handy but would allow arbitrary exports. Another more rigid solution would be "margin" setting. The margin is currently fixed to 5 seconds.
  • In RaceRender I am used to setting the start and end time for rendering the projects, but I must admit it is in no way optimal way of doing it. The optimal one would be separately adjustable start and end margins. That would be perfect.
  • hello! i'm a new user and i would like to ask about external cameras. I saw news that Remote controlling GoPro action camera with RaceChrono Pro is added, can anyone tell me if opther wifi cameras can be used in racechrono??
  • edited May 2015
    gacek: Currently GoPro 3/3+/4 can be remote controlled with RaceChrono through WiFi.

Although lacking the remote control feature, just like with GoPro cameras, the videos recorded from most other action cameras can be linked manually afterwards to sessions, and the video can be exported with overlaid gauges.
  • edited January 2016
    We are a motorsports team based in the UK that are involved in running cars in various championships. We have Just purchased Race Chrono to test it on our track day car before implementing it into our race cars.

We have one quick question at present - when we start the GoPro video through the Race Chrono app is there a data synch point left anywhere and if there is how do we find it.

As an added feature could the session be started after a minimum speed is reached; the Racetechnology DL1 has the feature of constantly recording data but when you reach a set speed it starts recording and deletes all the previous data apart from the immediate ten seconds before the set speed was reached.

Thanks again for the app.
  • BLiNKMotorsport: If you open the recorded session, you can see the sync points by pressing the round "Videos" button on the session overview screen. The videos screen should have all sync points. It will show the files as missing, since they are not copied to the device yet.

Thanks for the feature idea!
  • Question about video recording: I can't seem to start the video in landscape mode? (or I can't figure out how). I have to put it in portrait mode, start the session, click on the video... then app says I have to rotate phone to landscape. But if I started the app in landscape, can't seem to find the button for video recording. Samsung S5.
  • edited February 2016
    Alfalfa: You're right, the "tab" buttons are hidden in landscape mode, but you can still swipe left and right to change live screen's pages.
  • Sorry, the Analysis Pack let me export all the sessions (even if they last more than 120 s) or i have to buy the pro version?
  • milberto2, yes.
  • edited April 2016
    Since the phone cameras are pretty good, any plans to have a remote to start session or auto session start with markers?
    Remote button like this http://www.amazon.com/Square-Jellyfish-Bluetooth-Samsung-Android/dp/B00K6ZTDNO to start and stop session recording.

The reason for asking is because I want to mount the phone on the rollbar for better video recording.