Documentation for Android version

This discussion was created from comments split from: Predictive timing display.

Comments

• Glad you asked, that is a great feature! Hope I remember to use it next event!

I'd ask for a user guide but that'd take Antti away from developing. Anyone else good with documentation and willing to do it for him ;)
  • edited May 2015
    Karter88, existing reference selection wouldn't work too well, as there's no reference selected when you first start the session :) This is one of the hidden gems I think not many will find right now. As with everything else I will improve it when I figure out the correct UX and simple for it... Puzzle for Karter88 to think about? I know you're good with UX :)
  • sti04: Yes, doing documentation is a bit tricky right now. I might need to do it soon as my paying customer base increases, but right now my excuse is that I try to do everything obvious enough. But this is great example it does not always work. Same with the recent GoPro functionality, not really possible to use without small instructions.
  • To clarify the idea I mocked it up. I think it's feasible and saves three taps when exposing the functionality. Let me know what you think (or also if you can't access this file). https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw0_gq98C4bvMFZhQzhZTlE4U0k/view?usp=sharing

I agree that RC is generally very understandable. Its clarity was a key factor in my choosing to buy it. That said, some documentation would greatly help both new and existing users get the most out of the app. I really liked the video tutorial on linking external files - that's a great template to work from. In the meantime, I'd be willing to help outline some updated documentation if you like. Input from a few of the active users here should be a good audience too.
  • edited May 2015
    The .doc file downloads with 0 bytes, so cannot see it.

I plan to create more videos, but it is quite slow process to make one, and if you need to update it you need to make new one from scratch. I plan to create one for GoPro and some other new video features that are coming, but I do need to get everything ready for that before.

If you have extra time, I wouldn't mind having some help with the documentation! It's fast to take screenshots ands write some text, but structure is the harder bit. Feel free to use any of the general parts in the v1.42 documentation.
  • Looks like I had a bad upload. I think I've fixed it now - can you retry?

Back on topic to documentation, I'll definitely see what I can do. I think there should be standard written documentation for the general use of the system, and then video for focused topics where you want to show the flow or make extra comments. Agreed that doing it well takes time and a script. I'll get some ideas together.
  • Replied to the original thread about the timer. I think mix between video and manual would be good idea. Although I have to be realistic how many videos I have time to create...
  • Right, we'll keep the topics separated.

Understood that there's limited time for official videos. We can prioritize which ones are most necessary and in the meantime could also drum up support from the community to help fill the gaps. I'm sure some people would be interested.