Bluetooth discovery for home built device

This discussion was created from comments split from: AIM Protocol support.

Comments

• I started a work of AIM -> OBDII protocol bridge using my raspberry pi. As starting point I'm using "https://github.com/oesmith/obdgpslogger" OBDSIM. It works fine with Torque, but my bluetooth adapter doesn't show up in RaceChrono (PC or Rasppbery), even tho it's paired in my phone with no problems. Maybe there is some kind of filtering in RaceChrono for bluetooth devices, it's strange because I see all my other paired devices even if they are not in range except PC or raspberry?
  • I wonder if you're doing something wrong... I do not use any filters for the bluetooth device discovery, just standard discovery through Android APIs.
  • The strange thing is that bluetooth device is paired in android bluetooth stack and visible to other apps (Torque for example), but not to RaceChrono.
  • Make sure nothing else is connected at the same time. You could also try to make sure the Bluetooth device has all the same services definitions a normal RFCOMM device has.
  • edited September 2015
    The only problem I can see, that bluetooth device type is "Computer" and no devices of this type are showing up in RaceChrono no matter if they paired on phone or not. No problem with Torque application, it lets you select from already paired devices and obd simulator works like a charm :( Why in RaceChrono I cannot select from all paired bluetooth devices?
  • edited September 2015
    Yeah, I don't know, maybe there is some default filter in Android BT discovery API that Torque overrides. I'd have to investigate... But how about changing device type to "look like" a RFCOMM device such as OBD-II reader or GPS receiver?
  • edited September 2015
    I don't know if it's possible with linux bluetooth stack... And it already communicates using RFCOMM serial port service with Torque.
  • SOLVED!!! :)
    changed bluetooth device class to 0x080500 Uncategorized device. Now OBD data simulator works in RaceChrono!!!
  • Well done! So the BT discovery results are filtered after all. I'll check the APIs when I have time.