Picture in picture (PIP) problem using hardware acceleration

Hi everyone!

I'm facing some problems during the process of generating the video with the PIP.

I made a video with the app synchronizing my phone (Motorola Moto G Second Generation) and a GoPro Hero 3+.

In the export session, I set the configuration needed for the export including the main video (filmed w/ GoPro) and the PIP video (filmed with Motorola). I also checked the option hardware acceleration ( it seems the only way to put the PIP, because when I uncheck it, the choice of the PIP video disappear). Then, a few seconds after initiated the export process, the system showed a Fail, and the export stops.

Have you seen this problem before? Any clues of how can it be fixed?

Some additional info:

Software: Racechrono Pro v.4.2.5

Hardware: Motorola Moto G Second Generation (Android v.5.0.2)

GPS: XGPS160

Thank you!

Marco

Comments

• edited October 2015
    If you select "Disabled" as PIP channel, does it work OK?

If the GoPro video exports fine alone, but not with PIP enabled, reason is probably that some hardware are known not to support PIP export. This means they do not support two video decoders and one encoder simultaneously.

If the GoPro video does not export alone either, then the problem might be with the GoPro video. Some hardware do not support high resolution input. For example Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10" supports only up to 720p input video.

Sometimes the hardware accelerated export might also fail due high quality setting: Some support only the "High quality" but not the "Very high quality" setting.

There are some fixes in v4.3 which is available from the beta group, but unlikely that they will fix this.

You're right, the PIP export is only when "hardware acceleration" is enabled. The software codec would get very slow when using hardware acceleration, so I've decided not to do that, as it is lot of work to do too.

I hope this helps