Allow importing reference sectors from different layouts of the same track?

edited March 2021 in General
One of the tracks I go to (Thunderhill) has multiple configurations:
1) 3 miles
2) 3 miles with a bypass of one of the corners
3) 2 miles
4) combined 5 miles, where a couple of connectors are added
5) 5 miles with a bypass in the 2 mile part
6) 5 miles with both bypasses

It's frequent that I want to use sections of my best lap(s) from one configuration as a reference for another.
For example between (1) and (2), the only difference is just a couple of corners. In fact both layouts share the same checkpoints. So what I did before is I imported my data from one layout into another, and simply ignored just the sectors that don't match.
I wish at this stage there was a way to mark a sector as invalid, rather than a whole lap.

I went to the (1),(2) and (3) configurations over the last few months, and soon plan to attend the (4).
It would be cool if there was a way to import my data from my recent track days into a new session so that I have reference sectors where layouts overlap. I wonder how many other RaceChrono'ers also share the same multi-configuration use case.

Comments

• Have you tried to add a reference lap from that session? You can clear the track filter when selecting the reference session, so you can add reference lap from a session on different track configuration.
  • I just did. The whole session went nuts: there are no sectors in the header anymore, all laps are now gray, all values in the "Delta" column are marked as "*".

Also, there are some configurations that share most of the lap, but have minimal alternations (e.g. chicane / no chicane) so that both configurations share the same checkpoints. In case of Thunderhill, you don't want to compare your 3-mile non-bypass laps against a 3-mile with-bypass reference when it comes to the sector that has the bypass. Other sectors though are identical.
    I think it would be useful to have an action (long tap menu?) to exclude a specific sector of a specific lap (like "mark as invalid", but a the sector level).
    I think I already requested that for AutoX situations when you know you hit a cone during a run, but still want to use the other sectors of that run for the Opt run.
  • > I just did. The whole session went nuts

Just to clarify: I previously did successfully use a 3-mile no-bypass lap as a reference for 3-mile with bypass. But this time I tried using a 2-mile no-bypass lap as a reference for the 5-mile-with-bypass-on-the-2-mile-part session.
    So basically the reference lap hit some checkpoints, but not all checkpoints; and there were even gaps in which checkpoints was shared between these layouts.