I've just released RaceChrono v8.0 for Android to the beta group ( https://racechrono.com/article/faq/how-do-i-join-the-beta-group
). If you want the v8.0 beta for iOS let us know through the website's feedback form.
The new version includes Lean angle and Lateral/longitudinal acceleration calculation from real IMU data. Theoretical channels are still available when IMU is not configured. Currently supported IMU's are RaceBox Mini / Mini S and internal sensors on the phone. When using the internal sensors, the phone needs to be on a holder for the whole duration of the session.
The other big things in this version is the reworked analysis and the new video overlay editor.
Let us know if you find anything broken.
Also big thanks to Timur Iskhodzhanov for his contributions!
RaceChrono v8.0.0 change log:
* Added: Real lateral acceleration, longitudinal acceleration and lean angle channels calculated from IMU data. Supported IMUs are the phone’s internal sensors, as well as RaceBox Mini / Mini S. When using the internal sensors, the phone needs to be on a holder for the whole duration of the session.
* Added: New overlay editor with much more configurability
* Added: Renewed analysis screen with an X/Y graph
* Added: Map path and markers can be selected from any available data channel
* Added: Smooth background colour transitions when using delta displays without the delta bar (contributed by Timur Iskhodzhanov)
* Added: +/- signs not displayed for values very near zero (contributed by Timur Iskhodzhanov)
* Added: Single gauge layout for Live screen
* Added: Calculated combined acceleration channel for devices with lateral and longitudinal acceleration channels
* Added: Support for Vgate vLinker and Vgate iCar series OBD-II readers
* Added: Support for RaceBox Mini S, Qstarz LT-8000GT and Columbus P-9 Race GPS receivers
* Changed: Minimum supported Android OS version is now 6.0 (was 4.4) (Android only)
* Changed: Minimum supported iOS version is now 13.0 (was 11.0) (iOS only)
* Changed: Bluetooth GPS update rate limited to 10 Hz, if no Pro upgrade or Devices pack purchased (free version only) (Android only)
* Fixed: Opening .CSV files through the operating system (iOS only)
* Fixed: .VBO export column identifiers
* Possible fix: “Storage not mounted” error on startup on some phones (Android only)
* Removed: “Save debug logs” expert setting. Use the “Send support dump” instead
RaceChrono v8.0.1 change log:
* Fixed: Broken gyro bias auto-detection
* Fixed: RaceBox Mini sessions some times recorded with wrong start time/date
* Fixed: Temporary channels were included in the .rcz files
* Fixed: Broken partial .rcz export
* Fixed: Adding new gauges in Live screen
* Fixed: Overlay editor layout on tablets
* Fixed: Weird crashes on some devices
As I am brand new to the forums, just curious.. is this project community developed? If so, I may be interested in getting involved.
I am super excited for all of this. GG chart and good G data was the only thing I thought the app was seriously missing compared to a "real" lap timer. Now, if there was a way to see more than two laps at a time, that would be great too
Question: will the IMU data work from gopro imported video as well or is it time for me to buy a rigid phone mount?
You can choose GoPro IMU in the session settings, but due to bad implementation at GoPro's side, it may or may not be usable data, depending on your use case.
Basically some RPM will make the GoPro gyroscope "float", and give false readings. But when that happens it's quite obvious. I haven't yet reviewed all GoPro models to see if which ones are affected. This will obviously affects mostly the lean angle, and the lat/long accelerations will probably be fine.
Right now internal sensors on the phone, and RaceBox Mini / Mini S are officially supported by this feature.
@aol_of_RaceChrono Is the Time of GPS deleted among the gauges?
I couldn't find any of the gauges on beta for android,I hope if it's just a temporary phenomenon in beta!
Thank you for the many improvements. It would be great if we could add separate plots for each graph. For instance I would like to visualize speed, throttle and time delta in separate graphs so they are easier to read.
Found one interface issue in v8.0 beta.
I cannot add more than 6 gauges on the gauges screen. There are no problems up to six, but if I press the edit button from the seventh, there is no response and only the screen becomes dark.
I sent you test data for the lean angle feature before the beta.
The overlaid footage from that peaked at 52 degrees of lean. Or 54. Fifty-something I remember being happy about it.
The same data in the beta build peaks at 47.
The gauge for lean angle is taken from calculated values. Is this calculated from GPS or from IMU?
It would be good to specify in the options drop down: "Calculated (GPS)" or "Calculated (IMU)"
There is no option for lean angle listed in the RaceBox Mini data fields.
This data was recorded before the beta update.
I've confirmed in the new v8.0.1 beta that this has been resolved!
However, this problem (GPS Time Gauge) has not yet been solved in the new v8.0.1 beta. I still can't find the GPS Time gauge.
Additionally, is there a marking plan for angles exceeding ±180 degrees on the Level gauge? When I want to use it as a Steering Angle gauge like in gif above, the horizon line no longer turns at an angle above 180 degrees.
The "Level" gauge is an artificial horizon, so its intended use is for the lean angle. We will do a steering angle gauge later.
Any chance of a Gear indicator on a later version?