video export quality settings

Hi, I am wondering if there is a pointer on how to interpret the quality settings on video export. Also curious if folks have suggestions for best settings / best practice on what works well for them for the video and overlay setup.

I looked into this because I noticed a visual difference between the gopro output and the compiled one by racechrono. It got worse when I did PIP with the video from the phone. I seem to get artifacts here and there. The only numeric data I have is that for 1080 60fps gopro 4 does 45mbps, racechrono does 25mbps for very high and 15 mbps for high.

Comments

• I probably should offer some more bitrate settings, the 25mbps is good for most use, but it's kind of low when resolution goes past 1080p or frame rate past 60 fps.
  • More data points, besides bitrate, it seems the hardware acceleration option affects the video size (quality seems similar from a visual standpoint). Without acceleration, I see 3x bigger files. And it takes a lot longer to prepare of course...

Phone is a samsung s6.
  • Yeah the hardware accelerared codec uses fixed bitrate, and software codec uses variable bitrate, so file sizes are different. Also hw uses h.264 which is usually same quality with half the bytes as the mpeg-4 used in software codec.
  • edited December 2015
    Will be great if higher bit-rate is supported.

Especially good for Kart racing at 1080P 60fps.

My YouTube video will blur every 20-30 sec due to low bit rate now ( I guess)
  • MegaRon: can you send me a sample URL for that blur problem? Send it to tracks@racechrono.com