RaceDAC/Display features

2»

Comments

• I'll try to get some of these sorted. Thank you for reminding me!
  • MAVMAV
    edited November 2015
    Thank you!
    A bit more details on G-sensor issues. I just was making video overlay and I found that in csv log G-sensor values are actually not G, not accelerometer integers, but decimals in m/s^2. But when I select X or Y accelerometer channel for presentation in RaceChrono video overlay screen and choose digital presentation, it actually shows it in G-values and they are correctly translated from RaceDAC output.
    At the same time when I choose analogue presentation for that specific gauge is shows nothing.

The result of my test session: http://www.racechrono.com/vanilla/discussion/1258/racechrono-racedac-data-overlay#latest
  • edited January 2016
    I am using my own electronics with RaceChrono over $RC2 interface for more than a year and the results are better than good ;)

My device equipped with BT is used on racing motorcycle while Racechrono on Android phone is well hidden in driver's leader suit. The downside - the driver can see the laptimes at first when reaching the paddock. Mounting a smartphone on a motorcycle doesn't really sound like a good idea.

I am able to equip my device in light LCD display to show laptime data within driver's view, but I am not sure if I want to repeat exactly the same calculations that Racechrono does.

@aol: Have you ever considered sending some basic data (best time, time of last lap) back to bluetooth device?
  • @_Ra_ : Do you mind sharing what you used to built your motorcycle $RC2 sentence device? I am working on doing the same and am comparing my options.
    I have following items:
    - 50hz GPS unit (https://www.tindie.com/products/smokingresistor/venus838flpx-gps-breakout-board/)
    - some ultrasonic sensors to measure suspension (just to try it) (https://1199s.wordpress.com/2014/06/14/building-motorcycle-suspension-datalogger/)
    - gyro and accelerometers
    - brake on/off
    - TPS sensor reading
    - RPM reading

At the moment with GPS and gyro/accel I was overflowing serial using an Arduino and now looking at more powerful boards (Due or Beaglebone)

Jeff
  • Hi J_D_W,

I used ArduinoNano last year with TPS, RPM and Speed reading. GPS Data was transmitted to Racechrono independently from 818XT. But there was a time lag/shift between GPS and Logger.

This winter I switched to STM32/Nucleo (F446RE) with added:
    - 10Hz GPS (https://www.adafruit.com/products/746),
    - MPU-9250
    - Additional Nokia5110 LCD for showing acceleration times (0-100) etc.
    Currently I am still testing the whole setup without motorcycle (in the kitchen or in car). It is winter here anyway.

I was looking very hard for some pressure sensor for breaking, but unfortunately I had to give up the idea due to prices/complexity.
    I briefly considered suspension sensors, but I expected higher frequencies to be necessary (~100kHz). Are your results usable? I've never thought about ultrasonic.

Is this blog yours? Maybe we should have a call? ;)

To be not off topic: @aol: Lean angle gauge in Racechrono would be nice ;)
  • @ Sounds like you are one step ahead of me. I am still working on the Arduino platform but was also looking at the STM32 platform and ChibiOS. Though I think I will start with the Arduino and at least get the sensors on the bike etc before changing the platform. I am also in the testing mode in winter and have not had any of this on the bike yet since not riding weather yet here in Canada.

The blog with the ultrasonic sensors is not mine. I have the ultrasonic at 20Hz but I agree, I would like something that could be read 100Hz at some point in the future but the sensors race bikes use are big $. But I think even at 20Hz or so if the ultrasonic is close it will tell me if the suspension is bottoming out or using full range I suspect.

If you want to share some of our results etc please e-mail me at jeff (at) cnerds.net

Jeff
  • I have my old droid x mounted to my top triple tree on my bike....I can easily glace down when I cross start finish and see the live lap time....I love it. I have even crashed once with it mounted there, and it was fine...I cant seem to find a picture of it....but it is an old otterbox defender, with a custom bracket. It works great! I don't have any issues....but it is an old phone that I only use for this....it is not my actual working phone phone....I can get you a picture or two if you want it....