Samsung Galaxy S5 + Qstarz B818XT Set up. Motorbike.

Is the internal GPS of the Galaxy S5 good enough for track day lap timing or do you have to use an external GPS app e.g. Bluetooth GPS?
If you need to use the Bluetooth GPS app, what set up do you need on RaceChrono? I found this online and it has confused the hell outta me.

Android Phones

App of Choice – RaceChrono

Recommended Receiver- Qstarz BT-Q818XT

RaceChrono had only previously been available on older Nokia devices, but after the huge success of the app over the years the developers have been hard at work putting together an Android version. It was released mid-2012 to high acclaim and has fast become the lap timing app of choice for Android users.

A very popular receiver for many years now (and the one I actually use) is the Qstarz BT-Q818XT. It does exactly what is says on the tin and in all the time I’ve used mine it has worked exactly how it’s supposed to (for a fairly modest price too). Given the openness of Android’s Bluetooth function, the BT-Q818XT works with all Android phones, but you will need to download the ‘Bluetooth GPS’ app from the Google Play Store for it to work properly.

Comments

• Well what you've found is not entirely correct.

First of all do NOT install "Bluetooth GPS" app, it is not needed. RaceChrono accesses Bluetooth GPS directly without a need for an external app. Maybe the writer has confused the "Bluetooth GPS" term used in the app to mean this external app, rather than the type of GPS generally.

Qstarz BT-Q818XT is modest price and will work better than any internal GPS, but it is getting old as it does not have GLONASS support. I've been recommending Garmin GLO and Dual XGPS 160.

Problem with any internal GPS and motorcycles is that you need to install the phone to a location that has good view to the sky. If you put it to your pocket, the data will not be that good. And that said I still think any external GPS will work better than any internal GPS in track day scenario. But if you already have the phone and go to track days regularly, you can always try it and decide for yourself, as long as you remember that if the data looks bad, it's the GPS to blaim.
  • Thanks a lot for that. My set-up will be S5 + Qstarz818XT (on tail of bike) + RaceChrono. I've used the Expert settings to help with GPS connectivity and it's all looking great. I've set it to 5Hz. Do I need to change any of the NMEA settings as well?
  • Defaults should be good for NMEA.