Camera's video not showing/recording (Wiko Cink Five)

Hi,

I'm experiencing troubles with the video feature. I'm running the latest version of RC Pro on a Wiko Cink Five (android 4.1.2).
When I start a session and slide to the video recording screen, the camera's picture shows for a fraction of second, and then the picture becomes black (even when not pressing the "record" button).
When I change a parameter (eg the capture resolution), the camera's image shows for a fraction of second again, then black again.
When I record a video, it's all black (but the sound is correctly recorded).
I tried to tweak all possible parameters (including all combinations of "compatibility modes"), but the problem persists...
Any idea to solve this ?

PS : a very very useful feature would be to be able to select the front camera instead of the back camera !! (to record the driver's face)

Cheers,

Comments

• edited March 2015
    Has this worked on this device for previous versions? I'm assuming no, as theres no significant changes done lately. If it has, then it would be only matter of tracking back the point where it still worked. My only guess would have been to put compatibility mode 2 to "Enabled" and rest to "Automatic". Might be worth retrying that if it's possible you might have missed one setting combination.

The Android's camera API is little bit problematic as almost every device works little bit differently. Especially some of the Chinese manufacturers are not being too careful when implementing these APIs. When there is a problem with a phone from major manufacturer, I buy the devices and try to solve the problem by poking the API different ways. Unfortunately your device is old and made by Chinese contract manufacturer, so it would not be financially viable to try to fix the support for it. It may well be it could not be fixed even if I tried.

So I have to offer you full refund on the purchase unfortunately, unless you can make it work with the instructions above. You can send your order number to tracks(at)racechrono.com for refund. Unless if you have some other device to run RC Pro, or want to use it with external action camera, of course.

On v4.0 there is option to select the front camera, although I don't believe it will work on your device either.
  • Hi aol
    Thanks for your fast answer, that's five star service !
    Unfortunately, "compatibility mode" 2 doesn't fix the problem (it even aggravates it, since the camera's picture doesn't even show for a fraction of second in this mode).
    I've never tried with really older versions of RC, so I don't know if it ever worked on my phone.
    BUT: I've just tried the new version (4.0.7), and video recording works perfectly with the front camera (only) ! Go figure!...
    Thanks for your refund offer, but video recording with the back camera isn't crucial for me, so I'll cope this way until my next cell phone (and I understand you can't buy and test all phone models on the market). Anyway, the software is excellent and I don't regret my purchase.
    Thanks again
    Nicolas
  • I'm glad to hear you're still happy with your purchase! I'll let you know if I do any camera code changes in the future that could affect this.
  • BTW, there seems to be a bug un the reverse landscape orientation : when on the live recording screen, it says that video recording is only available in landscape mode (same message as when in portrait mode)
    N.
  • Normally the reverse landscape video recording is enabled but there was problems with 4.0 and 4.1 devices. So as a last minute fix for these devices I disabled the reverse landscape, but didn't change the string. Not sure if I should actually have separate string for the old devices.