Previous RaceChrono Wish List

2»

Comments

• edited October 2008
    The support for accelerometers on N82, N95, 5500, etc. is coming! If you are going to a track day soon with a bike, please install the v1.02 beta! It logs the acceleration data to the NMEA file, so attach the phone properly to the bike (pocket is not enough!). Then just send the NMEA to me afterwards so I can try to figure out how to calculate these things. My bike is already in winter storage so I can't test this easily.
  • edited October 2008
    hi All

there are ways to "cut" out the logged data before the start line and after the finish line on Special Stage? in the last uphill i did i start the session whe the car in front of me was still on the line so i got this 60" of nothing alwais displayed and exported, same thing append after the finish line, i can not start or stop thetime while driving, not enough arms and hands!!! lol

if this feature is not available there is any chance to think about it?
    regards

dario
  • edited October 2008
    Special Stage style sessions should work, if you set "Start" and "Finish" type traps.

Just export with scope "All laps", and you will not get other data than what is between these traps. If you export in "Traveled route" you will get all of the logged data. Also "Traveled route" will show all of the data, but when you open one of the laps, only the data of the lap will be shown.
  • thanks a lot aol,
    i find exactly what i need, apologize, still need practice with the program eheh
  • I'm not sure if already suggested like wish list.
    Some friends and I use often to go to Franciacorta raceway. It could be interesting to register NEW session selecting a specific previous session on that track and decide if try to have a better time against your BEST LAP or IDEAL LAP. In this way You can start from the first lap struggling again one of the previous session or the best or ideal session on that track.
  • Hi Aol - I'm so impressed with RaceChrono and will be trying it at the Porscheclub track day this weekend. I'll bet a lot of the other guys there will want it too! We currently use Dorian timers for our competitions and have to do the sprint upto the tower in between sessions to compare everyone's times.

The comment earlier by espens about remote reading (at the pits) of racechrono data has got me thinking... I own a company that does remote server monitoring of many companies' IT systems. We have a lot of server infrastructure in three data centres to record all of these measurements etc. I would be happy to donate capacity and write some communications software to allow any racechrono user to upload their data in real-time, so that other users they authorise (ie their pit team, friends or everyone) could download it in real time to monitor/analyze their performance. In my case I would make all club member data available to all the teams so we can all see how we are doing against each other. I would also keep the data online for a while to give people the chance to download it later on.
    Perhaps you could build in options to allow full session logging over the air, or some subset like sector times to suit individual needs. I don't think there would ever be enough users to overload our links (redundant fibre) but some people might have expensive plans for GPRS/3G data and want to limit their phone bills.
    I know this would be really good for my local club, and I think it would be nice to give back something to the community (what open source is all about). So my offer is there. Please let me know what you think.
    Andy
  • edited October 2008
    Andy, thanks a lot for the offer! I value your offer very highly! But actually there is no need right now, as we got a very powerful and high bandwidth virtual server from one of our sponsors (thanks!!). But I will certainly contact you if we have to scale up :-)

We have big plans in going online, but as this is a hobby of ours, I cannot predict when all this would be available...

PS. I want to clarify RaceChrono is not open source (atleast yet), but it is free! Being in charge of an open source project might turn in to Project Management job too easily... And I like programming much more!
  • Aol, well I'm glad to hear you have some infrastructure. My thinking is that having an always available service on the web can provide the conduit for data to be distributed.
    My bad on the Open Source issue, but I wish you luck all the same, in fact I'll be very keen to see the results. My suggestion would be to use HTTP protocol for transferring the data. You can leverage a lot of existing code that way, and it will be easy to integrate authorisation, perhaps tie back to this website's user DB.
    All the best.
  • Would it be possible to have an option to set a special stage track as standing start yes/no, and then if the vehicle is stopped within 10 metres of the start line the timer will start as soon as the car moves.

Last weekend we had a hillclimb and there was a 16 km/h difference in speed at the start line, due to inaccuracy of my gps receiver (only 1 Hz), and also when the number of satellites locked dropped to 5.
  • edited October 2008
    Ok, i'll add that to the to-do list. It is a good idea. The current start line works accurately only when you go over it with some speed (10 kph is enough).

Can you send the NMEA for the hill climb session, please? With the data I can test the new feature works well. You can find the data in \RaceChrono\Sessions\*-nmea.txt on your memory card. The number part of the file name is date and time of the session. The file can be compressed (ZIP, RAR or similar) to make it much smaller. Send the file to tracks(at)racechrono.com .
  • Wish that Racechrono have the function of saving the current position as waypoint with editable name. This is very usefull when doing road trackings
  • edited October 2008
    antti, thanks for your job :)

how about implementing terratrip (rally computer) functionality? generally speaking all necessary data is there already, the only missing part is pretty simple display with numbers and button for easy counters zeroing... new session type?

terratrip for rally car can cost quite a lot, 5hz gps receiver and your mobile phone can be pretty good alternative for beginners in rally (like me..)

thanks anyways,
    jk
  • Thanks, good idea. I don't do rally my self, but probably worth investigating how this thing works.
  • edited November 2008
    Haven't seen any drifters on this forum, so I don't know how popular my idea would be, but i will ask anyway :)

To compare different drifting styles and performances, you mainly compare speed and drift angle. RaceChrono's gps speed support is great and we can compare how different cars and drivers have different speeds through parts of the corners, but what about angle? Would it be possible to calculate drift angle from accelerometer data? There are products like Driftbox, but they cost a lot of money, so they aren't really affordable to everyone.
    Thanks!
  • I haven't heard of drifters using the software before, but you are welcome! One of the RaceChrono projects I'm working on currently, is the accelerometers. It should probably be possible to calculate the drift angles after the phone positioning is calibrated. Not sure how accurate it would be though.

Please run a drifting session with phone with accelerometers (N95, N82 etc), phone attached properly so that there's not much extra vibrations, and in same position throughout the session. Then send the NMEA file to me. I will see if I can calculate the drift angle. :)
  • I don't really know much about accelerometers and their data, but I suspect the placement in the car would probably have and influence on the data. Accelerations are probably differnt if you put the phone on the dashboard, or if you put it in the back of the car.
    Sadly I don't have a phone with accelerometers at the moment and the drift season is quite over, so I don't know when I will be able to obtain some data, but when I do, I'll send it.
    Thank you for taking interest!
  • I opened a new thread for the new wishes, this thread is getting quite long.