RaceChrono v1.30 known issues

Comments

• Hi, i have noticed that when i export a data-logging session in CSV format the OBD speed is not correct, it is much lower than real speed (in Live timer and in traveled route the OBD speed is OK)
  • Hi Pablo, seems there is a problem with the units of OBD-II speed. The figures are in meters per second.
  • I'm having the same issue as andylaurence and dpearce8 with RaceChrono on my N95: it stops recording. It seems as though a restart of the phone helps, but it isn't foolproof and it can be up to four minutes before it stops. (Once it's recorded more than 4m30s I haven't seen it fail, but that's a long time to wait in the pits to see if it's going to work).

Has there been any update or a workaround?
  • Have you tried to upgrade your N95 firmware? What GPS do you have?
  • I have the Qstarz BT-Q818eXtreme. I can't update the N95 until this evening, but I'll try that and let you know what happens.
  • Ok, let's hope it helps.
  • Well that's four successful tests since I've updated the phone's firmware from 21.0.016 to 31.0.017. Of course it could just be luck, as the problem was intermittent, but hopefully that's sorted it out. :)
  • Let's hope for best :)
  • I've not had the problem since I upgraded the firmware on my N95 8GB either. Admittedly, I've only used it a few times since. No doubt next week's event will prove it as I'll be using it for all 12 runs.
  • I've used it for another six datalogging runs now with no problems. First chance to try it on track comes in two weeks.

This is probably the wrong place for it, but I'd like to say what a wonderful piece of software you've made! :)
  • Having an issue with OBD2 exports. I have selected 4 high priority channels (RPM, OBD Speed, Throttle Pos, airflow rate) and 2 low priority channels (intake temp, barometric pressure). In the exported CSV I only see RPM, speed, throttle pos and barometric pressure. I know that the ECU reports airflow rate and intake temp but they don't show up in the export.
  • Can you see them on the live timer gauges at all?
  • edited September 2009
    I will run a test and let you know.

UPDATE - logged the commute in. I removed barometric pressure from the low priority so I had:

High priority - Thottle Pos, RPM, OBD speed, mass airflow rate
    Low priority - Intake Air temp

Gauges worked and the export contained all the OBD fields. I will run another test to add back in barometric pressure to the low priority and see if that works. I am wondering if I have to view the gauges to make the logging work correctly or if there is something happening when you log a number of fields.
  • edited September 2009
    rickerbr: Viewing the gauges should have no effect to what is logged. Let me know if the problem persists.
  • edited September 2009
    Tried Performance Test with HTC Blackstone (WM6.1) with Qstarz BT-Q818X (5Hz mode), selected High Priority: RPM, Throttle Pos, OBD SPeed, O2 Sensor 1 Bank 1; Low Priority: Coolant Temperature.

There is no Gauges being shown in the Live Timer.

In exported CSV, only OBD Speed was logged.

Racechrono settings:
    GPS receiver: Bluetooth Receiver, default baudrate
    OBD-II reader: Bluetooth OBD-II reader, default baudrate
  • edited September 2009
    rx8dorifto: If you start "Performance testing" session, there is "Use OBD speed" option in the session configuration. If you leave that turned on, the OBD-II channel settings are ignored and only OBD-II speed channel is monitored. This is to make performance testing more accurate (through measuring it from OBD-II).

Turn it off next time, or start "data logging" or "lap timing" session.
  • Thanks aol,
    Just did some tests with Data Logging and Lap Timing. Here are my findings and settings:

High Priority: RPM, Throttle Pos, OBD SPeed, O2 Sensor 1 Bank 1
    Low Priority: Coolant Temperature.

Racechrono settings 1:
    OBD-II reader: Bluetooth OBD-II reader, default baudrate

Racechrono settings 2:
    OBD-II reader: Serial Port OBD-II reader, default baudrate

Racechrono settings 3:
    GPS receiver: Serial Port Receiver, default baudrate
    OBD-II reader: Serial Port OBD-II reader, default baudrate

Test car RX8

There is no Gauges being shown in the Live Timer for either Data Logging and Lap Timing. Only "WAITING" shown on top of the screen.

However, in exported CSV, RPM, OBD Speed, Throttle Pos, and Coolant Temperature were logged with data. But O2 Sensor Bank 1 has nothing shown (thought of logging this for Air-Fuel Ratio, my car has Wideband O2 sensor).

Tried many times with plugging/unplugging the OBDKey and re-launch the Racechrono app.

Wonder what has went wrong with the Lap Timing (without live gauges and lap timing being started).
  • edited September 2009
    rx8dorifo: did you try press left/right on the view where there should be the gauges? They are not shown by default, you need to change the gauge. If you can see the channels in CSV export, they are logged perfectly!
  • the problem is, there is no Left/Right button on the Live Timer view :(
  • Tap the gauge to change it.
  • oops...got it. Apology for my stupidness :p
    it can only display 1 gauge at a time...

The next problem is, very difficult to start a laptiming. Even the external GPS was connected and OBDKey was connected, the top of the Live Timer just showing "WAITING..." even I've passed through the "Start/Finish" trap.
  • Was the trap facing right way? As default they are unidirectional, so they are not detected if going different direction.
  • How can i Install in Windows CE Touch Screen.
  • Windows CE is not currently supported.
  • thanks aol, for solving all my problems which mostly due to my ignorant :)
    think my car was statical when I set the Start/Finish trap for the track...

now, the "O2 Sensor 1 Bank 1" and "O2 Sensor 1 Bank 2" are not working? My car, Mazda RX8 has a Wideband O2 sensor comes in stock. But I logged nothing with "O2 Sensor 1 Bank 1" and "O2 Sensor 1 Bank 2".
  • edited September 2009
    It might be that channel is not supported on your car.
  • Sinclair from OBDKey has actually made this into the OBDKey logging software so that I could log my Wideband O2 sensor. Yes, I did logged my O2 Sensor 1 data with OBDKey.

Maybe Sinclair can provide the code to read the O2 Sensor 1 data from OBDII.
  • edited September 2009
    Can you send me the NMEA file for the session you did with this o2 logging? I can check if there is something wrong. Send it to tracks(at)racechrono.com
  • edited October 2009
    Hello I have a problem wiht my Asus p535 it have internal GPS and WM 6.1 in setings it is on internal GPS but when i go to Switch to live timer there is written No fix to seatellites.

Sorry for my bad eanglish

UPDATE: Fix te problem i had to go so settings and on GPS Type Serial port GPS, com2, 4800 baud and now works fine
  • Hi aol, I've just sent you the NMEA file that I logged with O2 sensor 1.

The purpose of logging Oxygen sensor 1 (wideband O2 sensor comes stock with my car Mazda RX8) is to log the Air/Fuel Ratio for tuning purpose. The OBDKey software logs too slow and not stable (about 0.3 - 0.7sec per scan) that couldn't give a good resolution/granularity across the RPM band. The Racechrono, could log better (0.2sec per scan constant with 5hz GPS).