This error message is caused by failure to initialise the hardware codecs for video export. Usually the problem is that the source video files, or combination of main and picture-in-picture video files, are not supported by your device.
Examples of situations where you might get this error:
– You have recorded high resolution videos with your action camera, and try to export them using a low end or mid-tier phone. Even some high end phones may fail, if you try to export a video with picture-in-picture with very high resolution sources.
– Samsung S6 using 2.7K or 4.0K main video with 1080p PIP video. It will work if both main and PIP videos are only 1080p.
– Samsung Tab 3 10.1 using 1080p video source. The device has only 720p camera so the export will fail for anything more than that. You’ll need to use 720p video source.
-Source video files that have been re-encoded on PC. The current phone hardware support h.264 for video (also h.265 on high end phones), and AAC for audio. Make sure your re-encoding software produces video files with these codecs. The container format needs to be .mp4 (also .mov works on iOS).
To fix the issue you should try the following:
– Record future videos with lower resolution
– Only on Android 9 and older: Uncheck the “Use hardware acceleration” checkbox from the export screen. This will make the export slower, and you’ll loose the picture-in-picture option, but it will work regardless of the source video resolution.
– Downscale your high-resolution source videos to lower resolution: https://racechrono.com/article/faq/how-to-downscale-my-source-video-files